Home > Trip Reports > August 6, 2016, - Enchantments/Dragontail Slopes

August 6, 2016, - Enchantments/Dragontail Slopes

8/6/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by MattT on 8/9/16 5:08am
I was lucky enough to get invited on a core permit trip, Colchuck to Snow Lakes direction. I wasn't going to bring skis, but after diligently packing light I couldn't resist the challenge. Turns were indeed made and August was checked off, but it's an awful long way to carry skis. It won't be worth it much longer (or most would probably say it's way past anyway). A light setup really helps for such a long carry, but honestly the worst part of it is all the rock tail banging you do on the way down. I wouldn't hesitate to carry skis again if I got the chance to do the trip a month earlier, but I won't likely be repeating this effort.

Thanks to all who contributed to my beta request here: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=36754.0

Topping out on Asgard - hurts so good

I skied the N/NE slopes off of Dragontail Peak. Steep, fun, surprisingly (re-)frozen corn. Wish I could have done more but had to meet up with the rest of my (non-skiing) group.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3efjpxaylvu808q/IMG_7702.JPG?raw=1" />

There is also some good looking snow patches off Little Annapurna and slopes to the east of Dragontail

As promised, the lower lakes provided stunning scenery. Can't wait to go back.
Definitely a tip of the hat to you for carrying skis up Aasgard and out Snow Lake - that's a long haul. The core is a special place and trying to take in the scenery is like drinking water out of a fire hose, isn't it? I had to chuckle when I saw your last photo - the one of  Prusik Peak. Everyone takes the same photo not only because it's a beautful spot but because they are stanking around waiting for their hiking partners to use the toilet  ;D

Nice work Matt! Looks like beautiful weather. The view from that Dragontail shoulder is a nice one. A great ski pitch. I saw from your pic from Aasgard that the snow is continuous, but if you fell at the top, you'd probably hit those rocks. It gets scarier as the season drags on.

Glad you skied. You were the entertainment for the day I'll bet!

I think we saw you! We were walking off Serpentine Arete at around 2:30pm.

author=degnaw link=topic=36772.msg149776#msg149776 date=1470847485]
I think we saw you! We were walking off Serpentine Arete at around 2:30pm.

hah, yep that's me! I wondered where you had come from. Nice work!

author=MattT link=topic=36772.msg149769#msg149769 date=1470773317]
A light setup really helps for such a long carry, but honestly the worst part of it is all the rock tail banging you do on the way down.

A pair of these would solve the tail banging problem.

I don't know if these little "figl" skis are sold anymore. They were fun to goof around with 25 years ago. On packed snow with good ski boots, they're actually pretty high performance skis.

Snowblades are the current equivalent of Figls -- with so many resorts offering primarily groomed snow they are no longer a "summer snow" specialty item.

Quite the juxtaposition of old-school ski and high tech boot!

Snowblades may well be the way to do this! But how well do they ski steep corn?  ;D

Google Firn Skis to explore approach ski offerings over the years. Bigfoots are also used . Size 13 Wingtips with the heels removed are an option . Skied down International on them in the spring corn once in 1971. NOT recommended. =(-;(> Ride um cowboy... X

Cool ski, in less PC days people would yell "fruit booter!" at you on those. A modern version is the OAC WAP 127 ski. It would take a bit of practice before trusting it on something steep.

Reply to this TR

august-6-2016-enchantments-dragontail-slopes
MattT
2016-08-09 12:08:37