Home > Forum > Volkl 100eights for backcountry?

Volkl 100eights for backcountry?

• Fletcher
  • [Fletcher]
More
08 Aug 2016 18:45 #227292 by Fletcher
Volkl 100eights for backcountry? was created by Fletcher
I am making the big switch from splitboarding to bc skiing this winter. I have a pair of Volk 100eights in the garage that don't see any use. Wondering if there are some skins that would work and they might be decent for backcountry use? Sorry if this question is naive, I am not well versed in the ski world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Aug 2016 08:37 #227293 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Volkl 100eights for backcountry?
They'll probably shine mid-winter. Never skied 'em, but the Backcountry review makes them sound competent and not unreasonably heavy.

Skins ~105 mm or wider will get you on your way to two-plank-traverse nirvana.

• HappyCamper
  • [Greenwood Man]
More
09 Aug 2016 12:00 #227294 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Re: Volkl 100eights for backcountry?
If you are newer to skiing and you have skied these skis already and have some comfort on them, then that seems to be a plus for using them.

Another factor might be the intended use - i.e. long v. short tours; powder days v. less-than-powder days.

A number of my days are spent in sometimes less than optimal days doing short laps in the closed parts of Snoqualmie Pass resort during the week - so I am less concerned about the weight (training weight!) and more about how comfortable the ride down will be.

My current favs are some fat and heavy powder sticks that I curse mightily on the way up, but have a wide range for the down. I have framed AT bindings on them so they ride well enough in the resort too.

Plus, if your conversion holds, you'll end up adding a couple more pairs anyway :-) , so why not save some scratch on the first pair as you sort it out.

More
09 Aug 2016 20:23 #227295 by ceog
Replied by ceog on topic Re: Volkl 100eights for backcountry?
You better pick up the DEMO DIAMIR VIPEC
Wednesday,
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=22354.0