Home > Trip Reports > July 26, 2016, Obstruction Point

July 26, 2016, Obstruction Point

7/26/16
Posted by telemack on 7/27/16 12:57am
     Olympic N.P. offers a short hike to snow after a long drive.  After a call to my source for local beta (Hurricane Ridge habitue and friend "runcle") I switched destination from Elk Mountain to farther south. 
     Less than 2 miles from the car, with minimal vertical on the trail to Moose Lake, I found snowfields off Point 6536.  This may be called Moose Peak, but it is not marked on the Green Trails or NPS maps.The summit is just off the trail and a great vantage point.  Suncups were still small and very skiable.  The longer line off the top narrowed and snaked under some rocks but was continuously steep.  I did a shorter third run down a lower angle bowl.  The return walk was quick enough that I could add in a stroll up Obstruction Peak. 
     The Elk Mountain chutes Are still workable but only have about 300 v.f.  Interestingly, the patch to the left just before road's end has about 200' of snow visible while driving, and less than 1/4 mile stroll.
     With JimD's report showing that Sunrise snow is pretty far gone, Obstruction Point Road has the shortest access to buttery summer turns in the state!
Way to keep the steak alive Mack  ;)

Reply to this TR

july-26-2016-obstruction-point
telemack
2016-07-27 07:57:28