Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2016, Mt. Daniel

July 24, 2016, Mt. Daniel

7/24/16
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by bfree32 on 7/25/16 1:27pm
I haven't seen a Daniel report for a couple months so here's a conditions update: skiable snow starts at 5900' in the Hyas drainage. It's lightly suncupped but generally skiing quite well. The steep chute on the climber's right of the cirque still goes, but is getting thin. The left side is fatter with more options. We weren't able to venture onto the north side so I'm not sure of Lynch conditions.

non-skiing related notes:
- wildflowers are nicely peaking
- mosquito capital of the state, Peggy's Pond, was actually quite pleasant and light on bugs. I even went for a swim among the many rainbow trout.
- the 1-2 miles nearest the trailhead were quite slow due to copious amounts of blueberries and huckleberries providing tasty distractions

Thanks for the report. All the pertinent data. I like it when it gets warm enough (for me) to swim at Peggy's Pond. You are probably tougher than me in that regard. That steep chute getting thin, I've backed off it when the thin became scary and I was afraid of falling in a hole. Probably time to start watching that.

Reply to this TR

july-24-2016-mt-daniel
bfree32
2016-07-25 20:27:18