Home > Trip Reports > Jaunary 1, 2006, Bennett Pass (OR)

Jaunary 1, 2006, Bennett Pass (OR)

1/1/06
Posted by Jeff Huber on 1/1/06 7:08am

The photo above shows two seemingly incongruous events: the Jinga game at my New Year's party last night and skiing today. What these events share, is that the participants were almost identical!

Bennett Pass is the location of short mellow-angeled clearcuts and gladed runs immediately east of the Mt Hood Meadows turnoff and not on Hood's edifice. It provided us with a quick, safe ski fix. We took two runs down the first clearcut, which is about 530vft in length. Snow had the consistancy of styrofoam. However Jason, Carla and Aaron skied it the day before and they report that relative to yesterday today the snow was like champagne powder.

We saw no signs of instability but our slope angle never exceeded 25ish degrees.

Happy 2006! Lets hope real champagne powder falls soon.
Man...can you believe we got that stack of blocks up to 36 levels high.

Oh yea it was a good ski day to.

Aaron

1/2/06

perfect PNW Mash Potatoes, w/ 2 ft deep ruts from turns all over the place. gonna take some major snow to repair that damage.

tree riding on the way in was nice tho, both above and below the road. good coverage in the trees too.

the access road was like a freeway, couldn't beleive the # of people back in there, both tele and XC

jimbrah

What kind of hair gel do you use?

What kind of hair gel do you use?

I don't think the shinny stuff in Jason's hair is hairgel. I think it's nervous sweat, from the shear mental intensity of the game.

Reply to this TR

jaunary-1-2006-bennett-pass-or
Jeff Huber
2006-01-01 15:08:47