Home > Forum > July 26, 2016, PDX area, Skiing & Sleeping Summits

July 26, 2016, PDX area, Skiing & Sleeping Summits

• pinnatifid
  • [pinnatifid]
More
24 Jul 2016 10:13 #227267 by pinnatifid
Volcano Views and Brews - "20 Peaks in 30 Days: Skiing and Sleeping on the Summits of the Cascade Volcanoes"

Loowit Brewing Company
507 Columbia St, Vancouver, Washington 98660

Presentation begins at 6:30 p.m. - Join us anytime after 5:00 p.m. for food and drink. $5 suggested donation.

In the spring of 2014, Dr. Jon Kedrowski spent significant time and effort to accomplish skiing the 20 highest Cascade Volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest in 30 days. Jon, an author, avid ski mountaineer, and expedition guide, traveled up the West Coast starting with California's Mount Shasta on May 1st and finishing with Mount Baker in Washington on May 31st. Jon not only climbed and skiied the Volcanoes, but he also spent the night on the summits of some of the most iconic mountains of the Pacific Northwest, including peaks like Mount Hood, South Sister, Mount Thielsen, Mount Adams, and Mount Rainier.

Jon embarked on this journey following a similar adventure in 2011, when he became the first person to spend the night on the summits of the 58 Colorado 14ers and wrote his first book, Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado 14er High Bivys. His new book Skiing and Sleeping on the Summits: Cascade Volcanoes will also be available at the event.

Jon has climbed 5 of the 7 continental summits, and summitted Mt Everest in 2012. He was also in Nepal on Everest in the Spring of 2015 when catastrophic earthquakes and a resulting avalanche struck the Everest Basecamp.

Join Jon for a virtual tour of the Volcanoes, including the sunrises, sunsets, weather, climate, and unique volcanology as well as the spectacular ski descents and ski potential, during this interactive multimedia presentation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2016 19:06 #227270 by BillK
I'd be really impressed if he got laid on all those summits

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jul 2016 06:48 #227271 by flowing alpy
Me too.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Jul 2016 09:18 #227272 by telemack

I'd be really impressed if he got laid on all those summits

Now that would be a stiff challenge....

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
29 Jul 2016 13:27 - 30 Jul 2016 10:39 #227273 by Jeff Huber
Interesting. I just visited this individual's website to learn more about his remarkable claim. Unfortunately there wasn't much there except marketing copy and links to buy his books.

What verification do we have that he really, "skied off of the 20 highest Cascade Volcanoes in 30 Days"? Is there an itinerary? Are there GPS track logs? How did he define the "20 highest Cascade Volcanoes"?

Okay edited to add, there is some documentation of this on his blog with photos:
www.jonkeverest.org/blog.html?page=5

I guess May 2014 had good enough weather for this, which is impressive all on its own. I was surprised on the 3 Sisters part he gave no mention of the technical climbing and skiing at the top of North Sister, but I guess he found it not noteworthy.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
29 Jul 2016 21:45 #227274 by T. Eastman
Jeff, who cares? Can you prove all your claims?

Looks like local tribalism from your tone. There are lots of skilled skiers and climbers in other parts of the country...

More
21 Aug 2016 14:59 #227296 by rlsg
Actually, N sister has a pretty non- tech route up its east side with a short sramble to top...or if enough snow and right conditions, skiable.

• snojones
  • [snojones]
More
02 Sep 2016 23:03 #227311 by snojones
I would be interested in just where that non tech route up north sister is and how you access it? 

More
03 Sep 2016 14:11 #227312 by rlsg

I would be interested in just where that non tech route up north sister is and how you access it? 
[/qu
ote]   gully climbers left of early morning cool.. caution:  potential rock fall and or avalanche..

More
03 Sep 2016 14:22 #227313 by rlsg
s.e. ridge/arete is another option though it quite a slog.

central rib climbers right of early morning and then around the back of false summit too.  The rib is a fun ski with less objective danger from above than the walls and coolies..

Jeff Thomas' guide book is good ..unfortunately it is out of print.