Home > Trip Reports > July 21, 2016, Colchuck Slide Investagation/Ski

July 21, 2016, Colchuck Slide Investagation/Ski

7/21/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 7/23/16 1:30am
Mike has been burning up to get up and look over the slide that happened last Saturday on Colchuck, and see what we could learn. Additionally we wanted to finish cutting out the trail, and get in a ski. Probably too much for one day, but we decided to give it a try. 

The debris deposit from the slide is so impressive,  I did a little fiddling and it seems like the pile is somewhere around 3.5 acres around 15/20 feet thick! that's a serious pile of rock.

As luck would have it we had been skiing there a few weeks before, and I went back and looked at some of the pictures I took of Mike and found a picture that shows the very area that failed and triggered the slide.

The before

The after

Mike has a better picture in random tracks that really delineates the boundary of the rock slide. 

The path over the glacier

And we did have some nice turns, almost to the trail with one carry.

The trail crew had logged out the trail. but there was one new log that we were able to get so the saw carry was worth it.

Certainly a fun day. Thanks for the write-up. Here is an after/before pic. The before is from November of 2011.

And a couple ski pictures. It really was fun skiing!

Is that Mike on the Misery Whip!? Way to Buck! In Highschool, we did that for PE Class! and thank you for the trail maint...most appreciated!

Reply to this TR

july-21-2016-colchuck-slide-investagation-ski
jtack
2016-07-23 08:30:06