Home > Trip Reports > July 10, 2016, Colchuck Glacier

July 10, 2016, Colchuck Glacier

7/10/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/10/16 12:31pm
I returned to Colchuck Glacier to try out some new skis (they were great), but the weather was not so beautiful and the snow didn't corn up. The top was firm with some runnel-like snow surface features, glissade paths and moderate sun cups. If it had softened up, I think those features would not have even been noticeable. The top third required careful skiing. The bottom was soft due to warm weather and rain and it skied just fine. There is still a very narrow snow ribbon that connects the snow near the terminal morrain with the lower snowfield. I skied it, and had to sidestep across a couple rocks. Won't be long before there is a skis-off section. I did litter patrol and some trail maintenance on the way home and then had a great parking lot tailgate party chatting with folks coming out of the woods. A few photos from the day:

60%chance of rain. Mainly before 11AM

Something new to me:

The top was in the clouds

Current condition of the snowpack

The ribbon. It's skiable - for now.

These are our choppers, Charlie.

Gonna piggyback off this TR, I was up there on Saturday!

Went up Asgard Pass and did a run on the snowfield on the north/east side of Dragontail around 10am - the sun had been hitting it for a bit and it sloughed a little but was otherwise perfect.

Scrambled back up and around to the west route of Dragontail. The chute has two short, discontinuous patches of snow, followed by a couple hundred feet of walking down to Colchuck pass.

It was also cloudy by the time I reached Colchuck glacier, and the top 1000ft was icy and rather bumpy - but by the bottom it had softened and was quite nice. I went the wrong way approaching the 'narrows' (I stayed left, which dead ends) and had to carry about 20 feet.

Video:
https://goo.gl/photos/uuVg424Knw5YDS8q6

Hey degnaw I wish I'd gone Saturday I'd have tagged along with you! That pitch off the shoulder of Dragontail is one of my favorites. The west gulley from Dtail to Colchuck Col looks scary to me. If you fell it would be ugly. I've skied it once in February (with Peteyboy) when it was filled in, and it was fun then. Nice work. I saw your tracks on Colchuck and I met a couple who had watched you ski Saturday, and were back up for a thru-hike on Sunday.

You skied a ribbon of snow and side-stepped over rocks in July with brand new skis? I like your style!

author=PhilH link=topic=36718.msg149581#msg149581 date=1468344474]
You skied a ribbon of snow and side-stepped over rocks in July with brand new skis? I like your style!

Yeah, I'm somewhat conflicted with my feelings about ski equipment. I love my various skis, and they are super important to me, but I don't have any problem skiing over dirt or walking on rocks. I always clean the bases and I never put my skis away wet.

I chatted with a couple in the parking lot that were on their way down Aasgard Pass as I was skiing. Scott sent me a couple photos. I'm the little dot in the middle of the snowfield above the ribbon. Thanks for the photos, Scott!

photo by Scott Bailey

Mike:  Lets do some aerial photography of your engineering projects, so you get to ride in a Bell 206 - the helicopter you saw on the road.  ;)

author=KickSteps link=topic=36718.msg149709#msg149709 date=1469766797]
Mike:  Lets do some aerial photography of your engineering projects, so you get to ride in a Bell 206 - the helicopter you saw on the road.  ;)

What! That sounds awesome!

Reply to this TR

july-10-2016-colchuck-glacier
mikerolfs
2016-07-10 19:31:53