Home > Trip Reports > July, 2016, Outbackcountry, Thredbo, Australia

July, 2016, Outbackcountry, Thredbo, Australia

7/15/16
World elsewhere
Posted by DOD on 7/9/16 1:10pm
I can never seem to wait for winter to arrive. Summer is just way too long and hot.

This year we have flown south for the summer to a most unlikely ski destination who's vast alpine plateau is dotted with snow gums, and who's inhabitants include dingos, kangaroos, Emu's and wombats.

Waking up to the sound of dingo's howling and dodging crazy kangaroos on the drive along the Alpine way to Thredbo is a most unusual experience.

Australians pride themselves on being able to do a lot with a little and the ski industry that exists here on one of the driest continents on earth is a perfect example. Thredbo receives an annual average snowfall of just 75 inches annually and this is supplemented with enormous snow making infrastructure incorporating more than 150 snow guns that stretches out the ski season from June to early October. Without snow making the Australian ski season would run for just 30 days.

It's statistics like these that make me think how lucky and spoiled us Pacific North Westerners truly are. Our below average years like 14/15 Stevens Pass still scored almost 200 inches in a season. A lot of places in the world would kill for a figure even close to this. It also reminds me that we are all stewards of this earth and as skiers we should all be invested in ways to protect and preserve our planet and it's climate.

Having said that, the 2016 season is off to a good start and we were recently treated to over 85cm or 2 feet of snow in just 3 days. When it does snow here the quality is excellent. Light dry and chalky. We have been working and skiing at Australia's best ski resort, Thredbo. Thredbo has Australia's longest ski run 3.2km's (1.9 miles) and an interesting ski racing culture, and a beautiful alpine village. Whilst the vertical is less than impressive compared to North America at just 672 metres (1100 feet) the long winding gladed runs through gum trees are enough to get the legs burning with the bonus of lift served skiing in the middle of the north american summer.

What Australia lacks in vertical it makes up for in expanse. The high alpine plateau is vast and the  back country is practically empty and offers interesting and unique touring opportunities. The storms that roll in from the antarctic can be fierce and it's not uncommon to see wind speeds of over 100km's (60mph) Similar to New Zealand, visibility can be greatly reduced during weather events and some of the best days skiing are found post front, just when the weather clears.

After long tours you can refuel on VB, meat pies, sausage rolls and pavolova!!
Alicia goes "walkabout"

Emu on the Alpine Way

Good to hear from you "down under" ;).

Great snowy Emu! Great report! I worked in Australia, and try as I might, could not manage to get in a ski.  I did manage to bump a kangaroo my first day of driving, fortunately just a bump, and neither roo or car were the worse for the experience. Green with envy! I bet you will find plenty of good places to tour, and just the exotic environment will make up for the modest terrain!

Let us know about the "chain requirements" they sounded so crazy?

Ah yes Jtack! the chain requirements ARE CRAZY!!!

If there is even a wiff of slush on the road they pull everyone off the highway and force all 2WD's to fit chains and reduce the speed limit down to 30mph!!
We were laughing because the same conditions on US HWY2 you would be doing 60mph no problems and it would be what the WSDOT would classify as ''road way bare and wet"

Reply to this TR

july-2016-outbackcountry-thredbo-australia
DOD
2016-07-09 20:10:48