Home > Trip Reports > July 2-4, 2016, Mount Olympus

July 2-4, 2016, Mount Olympus

7/2/16
WA Olympics
Posted by sam18802 on 7/4/16 1:48pm
It's been a long time since I have posted a trip report and because I am potentially moving back East in a week, decided to sort of end things with a bang out here in WA. I won't bore anyone with the approach; it was a nice lengthy walk through the Hoh Rain Forest to our camp at Elk Lake. We were concerned with the weather forecast, as our camp was socked in by clouds and some sporadic rain showers. However, a nice early start Saturday morning put us over the clouds and into clear skies throughout the day! Blue Glacier is in good shape, with most being down to bear ice and a small top layer of snow. Our goal for the day was to summit and I opted to stash the snowboard at the top of the Snow Dome before our group trudged to the Pass. In retrospect, if you can tolerate the approach the conditions over the Pass were actually quite reasonable, with no noticeable crevasses but I expect that will change drastically within the next few weeks. Summit of West Peak was gorgeous and the ride down late afternoon was fantastic! I think with some serious time and less of a time crunch, this place would be incredible to experience in early Spring conditions.
Nice work carrying your snowboard up the Hoh! I've walked that trail. Its a long ways. Isn't it about 18 miles to the mountain?

Sorry to hear you are moving away from the PNW. I hope the east coast treats you well.

18 miles only gets you to Glacier Meadows. Summit day from Elk lake (15ish miles) was around 11 miles or something one way. Fun times.

We passed you guys as you were getting onto the Blue glacier - great work hauling in the board!

...wow what a difference a normal snowpack makes... images below are from July 4th last year. It was laughable to even consider skis much below Snow Dome itself. The Blue was entirely bare, which was actually a blast to walk on, I just figured it would be like that only in September...

Reply to this TR

july-2-4-2016-mount-olympus
sam18802
2016-07-04 20:48:30