telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/29/17, 12:39 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 27-30, 2016- Adams & Hood
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 27-30, 2016- Adams & Hood  (Read 11813 times)
Jonathan_S.

June 27-30, 2016- Adams & Hood
« on: 07/01/16, 11:02 AM »

Some beta from the last four days.

First, Adams:
  • Skinning starts just a little bit above the intersection of the South Climb & RMT.
  • Winter Route has three portages (one short, two trivially so), plus lots of bumpy snow from all the hikers, so Summer Route might not be any less efficient now.
  • South Climb in very good skinning & skiing conditions thanks to the Thursday snow.
  • Summit cone/ramp/whatever was even good, thanks to the recent snow plus also very warm temps.
  • SW Chutes were nearly perfect.
  • The return to Lunch Counter from ~7,800' requires only one short portage and one trivially short portage, and otherwise skinning all the way.

Second, Hood:
  • Snowdome first few hundred vertical still has somewhat heavy snow from the Thursday storm, then really nice after that.
  • Lots of little cracks going across the Eliot Glacier if taking the approach from the Gnarl Ridge trail (i.e., as opposed to cross the river down low).
  • Have to hike just a minute or two from the Timberline parking lot to reach the snow.
  • I went up only to the Hogsback but saw numerous climbers and apparently also skiers descending from the summit surprisingly late in the day w/o dying.
  • Prior wet slides on West Crater Rim and Illumination Saddle.
  • Zigzag is super sweet!

Full TRs here:
https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRaceSeries/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1176991422342103
https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRaceSeries/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1178164188891493

A few random pictures...

Partner in SW Chutes:

Skinning on up to approach the Eliot:

Watch out for those cracks starting to open up:

Skiing:

More of the same:

Partner doing the same:

Zigzag low-angle happiness (screen grab from silly video greeting for our daughter):

My various "Tech" bindings are powered by Gu.
Zap

Re: June 27-30, 2016- Adams & Hood
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/16, 05:04 PM »

Great photos and comments on your Facebook link.  Wink
KLW

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/16, 08:42 PM »

I was going to post a quick Adams update but since you've already started this thread... Not much has changed in the last couple days Smiley  Everything was still in great shape for me today. Skied off the summit right about noon and the occasional cloud cover kept the Chutes corn from top to bottom. Didn't see another skier on the mountain but "Climbing" season seems to have officially begun. Watching the couple try out their trash bag "glissading shorts" off the summit was quite entertaining. I don't think the dude's wife was expecting to pick up that much speed that fast. Sorry, no pics. I couldn't get my phone out fast enough.

If anyone is contemplating hiking out the RTM I'll just add that I skied to within 450 yards of the trail (according to my GPS). The hike out on the RTM was 87.624% snow free and was easily done in a pair of light runners. (According to me)

« Last Edit: 07/06/16, 08:01 PM by KLW » Logged
dfhkvs
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/16, 09:09 AM »

KLW, did you ski SW chutes down to RTM and then back to cold springs on that trail? I usually (earlier in the season) ski SW chutes to 7000', and then traverse back on snow. I was wondering if, in later season (now), one can just keep skiing down SW aspect until you hit the trail. Sounds like that is what you did?

Dave.
Jonathan_S.

« Reply #4 on: 07/04/16, 04:55 PM »

KLW, did you ski SW chutes down to RTM and then back to cold springs on that trail? I usually (earlier in the season) ski SW chutes to 7000', and then traverse back on snow. I was wondering if, in later season (now), one can just keep skiing down SW aspect until you hit the trail. Sounds like that is what you did?

Dave.

Although that's not what I did this time, in general, yes, you can ski pretty close down to the RMT.
(But of course slightly less close with each additional passing day.)
Just watch out for undermining of the final snow fingers, as they're following a drainage.
Once you do have to resort to downhiking, I usually like to cut left somewhat, as the terrain is a bit steep, but especially further left you're on some nice pine needles with shade.

My various "Tech" bindings are powered by Gu.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.