Home > Trip Reports > June 27-30, 2016- Adams and Hood

June 27-30, 2016- Adams and Hood

6/27/16
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 7/1/16 3:02am
Some beta from the last four days.

First, Adams:

[*]Skinning starts just a little bit above the intersection of the South Climb & RMT.
    [*]Winter Route has three portages (one short, two trivially so), plus lots of bumpy snow from all the hikers, so Summer Route might not be any less efficient now.
    [*]South Climb in very good skinning & skiing conditions thanks to the Thursday snow.
    [*]Summit cone/ramp/whatever was even good, thanks to the recent snow plus also very warm temps.
    [*]SW Chutes were nearly perfect.
    [*]The return to Lunch Counter from ~7,800' requires only one short portage and one trivially short portage, and otherwise skinning all the way.

Second, Hood:

[*]Snowdome first few hundred vertical still has somewhat heavy snow from the Thursday storm, then really nice after that.
    [*]Lots of little cracks going across the Eliot Glacier if taking the approach from the Gnarl Ridge trail (i.e., as opposed to cross the river down low).
    [*]Have to hike just a minute or two from the Timberline parking lot to reach the snow.
    [*]I went up only to the Hogsback but saw numerous climbers and apparently also skiers descending from the summit surprisingly late in the day w/o dying.
    [*]Prior wet slides on West Crater Rim and Illumination Saddle.
    [*]Zigzag is super sweet!

Full TRs here:
https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRaceSeries/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1176991422342103
https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRaceSeries/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1178164188891493

A few random pictures...

Partner in SW Chutes:

Skinning on up to approach the Eliot:

Watch out for those cracks starting to open up:

Skiing:

More of the same:

Partner doing the same:

Zigzag low-angle happiness (screen grab from silly video greeting for our daughter):

Great photos and comments on your Facebook link.  ;)

KLW, did you ski SW chutes down to RTM and then back to cold springs on that trail? I usually (earlier in the season) ski SW chutes to 7000', and then traverse back on snow. I was wondering if, in later season (now), one can just keep skiing down SW aspect until you hit the trail. Sounds like that is what you did?

Dave.

author=dfhkvs link=topic=36697.msg149510#msg149510 date=1467475745]
KLW, did you ski SW chutes down to RTM and then back to cold springs on that trail? I usually (earlier in the season) ski SW chutes to 7000', and then traverse back on snow. I was wondering if, in later season (now), one can just keep skiing down SW aspect until you hit the trail. Sounds like that is what you did?

Dave.

Although that's not what I did this time, in general, yes, you can ski pretty close down to the RMT.
(But of course slightly less close with each additional passing day.)
Just watch out for undermining of the final snow fingers, as they're following a drainage.
Once you do have to resort to downhiking, I usually like to cut left somewhat, as the terrain is a bit steep, but especially further left you're on some nice pine needles with shade.

Reply to this TR

june-27-30-2016-adams-and-hood
Jonathan_S.
2016-07-01 10:02:11