Home > Trip Reports > 6/19/2016, Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!

6/19/2016, Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!

6/19/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Donnelly_M on 6/19/16 2:18pm
After last Sunday's venture down Paradise only to feel as if I have suction cups on my skis, it was more of the same today, but more so when I went into a turn.  After a few melt/freeze cycles, it should be ripe for some corn harvesting as conditions are some of the smoothest conditions I've seen.  I was able to ski down to the road with only one very short carry.  I think next time, I'll just park at the 4th crossing and get a 5 am start!
Excellent news.

Also... did you take a time machine to get to your tour?

How far from Paradise did you have to get before there was continuous snow to put the skis/skins on?  Webcam from the parking lot shows lots of brown.

A few buddies and I started heading up Muir but decided to ski down Paradise too,  I think I saw your tracks,  We hit the snow a little later in the day and the refreeze created awesome skiing.   The surface was indeed smooth and looks like skinning from 4th crossing was easier then from Paradise.  We skied a few more aspects of things around there and found the real goods.   Gotta love new snow :)

Though I've skied at Rainer for a couple decades - I have to admit I don't know the reference of Third Crossing or Fourth Crossing -- little help?

author=Chamois link=topic=36663.msg149383#msg149383 date=1466443253]
Though I've skied at Rainer for a couple decades - I have to admit I don't know the reference of Third Crossing or Fourth Crossing -- little help?

They're talking about spots on the Paradise Loop Road. I actually don't know if the 'crossings' refer to the creeks or trails that cross the road.

author=aaronnandi link=topic=36663.msg149376#msg149376 date=1466438543]
How far from Paradise did you have to get before there was continuous snow to put the skis/skins on?  Webcam from the parking lot shows lots of brown.

From my experience and from what I saw others doing, people were not skinning until reaching Pebble Creek.  Before that, there would be several sections of having to ski carry, unless there were routes I'm not aware of. 

The "crossings" were the bridges where the original road to Paradise crossed the Paradise River.  The first crossing was (is) the spur to the comfort station and equipment sheds at Narada Falls.  The 2nd crossing was in the woods just above Narada and the 3rd was just below the modern Reflection lake / Stevens Canyon Road bridge.  The marked winter trail above Narada uses bits of the abandoned road in its first half-mile.  Today's Paradise Valley Road is a remnant of the original road and 'Fourth Crossing', about a half-mile below Paradise, seems the only surviving nomenclature from almost a century ago. 

author=vogtski link=topic=36663.msg149388#msg149388 date=1466450048]
The "crossings" were the bridges where the original road to Paradise crossed the Paradise River.  The first crossing was (is) the spur to the comfort station and equipment sheds at Narada Falls.  The 2nd crossing was in the woods just above Narada and the 3rd was just below the modern Reflection lake / Stevens Canyon Road bridge.  The marked winter trail above Narada uses bits of the abandoned road in its first half-mile.  Today's Paradise Valley Road is a remnant of the original road and 'Fourth Crossing', about a half-mile below Paradise, seems the only surviving nomenclature from almost a century ago. 

thanks, Vogtski, for explaining that!

4th Crossing (as explained by Vogtski) is also a major summer trailhead as well as a winter one; there is a full parking lot at 4th Xing and stone steps up the hill  to a trail, and in the summer, a map of the trail system; the 4th Xing trail hits the lower Skyline Trail in less than ½ mile.

author=IntheTrees link=topic=36663.msg149382#msg149382 date=1466441815]
... The surface was indeed smooth ...  Gotta love new snow :)

author=Andrew Carey link=topic=36663.msg149390#msg149390 date=1466450567]
thanks, Vogtski, for explaining that!

My pleasure.  For any who might be interested, here's the route of the abandoned section of the original road to Paradise, with waypoints at the 'Crossings'.  I was just guestimating on the topo, but it's quite clear on the enlarged satellite photo :

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDw5pDtCgw

Reply to this TR

6-19-2016-denied-again-on-the-paradise-glacier
Donnelly_M
2016-06-19 21:18:28