telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 01:28 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  6/19/2016 Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6/19/2016 Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!  (Read 4155 times)
Donnelly_M

6/19/2016 Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!
« on: 06/19/16, 10:18 PM »

After last Sunday's venture down Paradise only to feel as if I have suction cups on my skis, it was more of the same today, but more so when I went into a turn.  After a few melt/freeze cycles, it should be ripe for some corn harvesting as conditions are some of the smoothest conditions I've seen.  I was able to ski down to the road with only one very short carry.  I think next time, I'll just park at the 4th crossing and get a 5 am start!
« Last Edit: 06/20/16, 12:00 AM by Donnelly_M » Logged
CoriB
5Member

Re: 6/19/2007 Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!
« Reply #1 on: 06/19/16, 11:06 PM »

Excellent news.

Also... did you take a time machine to get to your tour?
aaronnandi
1Member

Re: 6/19/2016 Denied again on the Paradise Glacier!
« Reply #2 on: 06/20/16, 09:02 AM »

How far from Paradise did you have to get before there was continuous snow to put the skis/skins on?  Webcam from the parking lot shows lots of brown.
IntheTrees
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 06/20/16, 09:56 AM »

A few buddies and I started heading up Muir but decided to ski down Paradise too,  I think I saw your tracks,  We hit the snow a little later in the day and the refreeze created awesome skiing.   The surface was indeed smooth and looks like skinning from 4th crossing was easier then from Paradise.  We skied a few more aspects of things around there and found the real goods.   Gotta love new snow Smiley
Chamois

« Reply #4 on: 06/20/16, 10:20 AM »

Though I've skied at Rainer for a couple decades - I have to admit I don't know the reference of Third Crossing or Fourth Crossing -- little help?
swaterfall
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 06/20/16, 10:55 AM »

Though I've skied at Rainer for a couple decades - I have to admit I don't know the reference of Third Crossing or Fourth Crossing -- little help?

They're talking about spots on the Paradise Loop Road. I actually don't know if the 'crossings' refer to the creeks or trails that cross the road.
Donnelly_M

« Reply #6 on: 06/20/16, 11:29 AM »

How far from Paradise did you have to get before there was continuous snow to put the skis/skins on?  Webcam from the parking lot shows lots of brown.

From my experience and from what I saw others doing, people were not skinning until reaching Pebble Creek.  Before that, there would be several sections of having to ski carry, unless there were routes I'm not aware of. 
vogtski

« Reply #7 on: 06/20/16, 12:14 PM »

The "crossings" were the bridges where the original road to Paradise crossed the Paradise River.  The first crossing was (is) the spur to the comfort station and equipment sheds at Narada Falls.  The 2nd crossing was in the woods just above Narada and the 3rd was just below the modern Reflection lake / Stevens Canyon Road bridge.  The marked winter trail above Narada uses bits of the abandoned road in its first half-mile.  Today's Paradise Valley Road is a remnant of the original road and 'Fourth Crossing', about a half-mile below Paradise, seems the only surviving nomenclature from almost a century ago. 

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Andrew Carey

« Reply #8 on: 06/20/16, 12:22 PM »

The "crossings" were the bridges where the original road to Paradise crossed the Paradise River.  The first crossing was (is) the spur to the comfort station and equipment sheds at Narada Falls.  The 2nd crossing was in the woods just above Narada and the 3rd was just below the modern Reflection lake / Stevens Canyon Road bridge.  The marked winter trail above Narada uses bits of the abandoned road in its first half-mile.  Today's Paradise Valley Road is a remnant of the original road and 'Fourth Crossing', about a half-mile below Paradise, seems the only surviving nomenclature from almost a century ago. 
thanks, Vogtski, for explaining that!

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Andrew Carey

« Reply #9 on: 06/20/16, 12:25 PM »

4th Crossing (as explained by Vogtski) is also a major summer trailhead as well as a winter one; there is a full parking lot at 4th Xing and stone steps up the hill  to a trail, and in the summer, a map of the trail system; the 4th Xing trail hits the lower Skyline Trail in less than ˝ mile.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).

Andrew Carey

« Reply #10 on: 06/20/16, 02:13 PM »

... The surface was indeed smooth ...  Gotta love new snow Smiley

vogtski

« Reply #11 on: 06/20/16, 04:13 PM »

thanks, Vogtski, for explaining that!

My pleasure.  For any who might be interested, here's the route of the abandoned section of the original road to Paradise, with waypoints at the 'Crossings'.  I was just guestimating on the topo, but it's quite clear on the enlarged satellite photo :

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDw5pDtCgw

« Last Edit: 06/22/16, 07:03 PM by vogtski » Logged

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.