Home > Forum > Photos from Kendall Peak, December 19-20, 2015?

Photos from Kendall Peak, December 19-20, 2015?

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jun 2016 01:42 - 19 Jun 2016 01:46 #227213 by Charlie Hagedorn
Photos from Kendall Peak, December 19-20, 2015? was created by Charlie Hagedorn
If you, or someone you know, skied Kendall Trees / Kendall Peak / Commonwealth Basin on December 19th, the day that Monty Busbee disappeared, and have any photos/videos/albums from the day that you're willing to share, please get in touch.

While there are more facts now than there were during the search, there are open questions which I can't seem to let go. There were so many people there that day that the snow got bumped out in places, so I'm hopeful that the corner of someone's photo might hold an answer or two.

Thank you!

Charlie
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
20 Jun 2016 09:24 #227217 by cumulus
hey Charlie, we (partner Rob and I) were out that day. Fun but also frustrating day (people immediately below us on several occasions following our skin track into potentially hazardous terrain as we tried to access the top of Kendall ridge-line). Snow was reactive up on the ridge unlike lower down where there was a better bond. Like you said it was a populous day up around there and had us confirming to avoid areas like that by the end of the day... Haven't posted any pics... Any idea where Monty was found?

Also, that day really brought home a point that doesn't seem to get addressed often enough in avalanche curriculum: how a skin track can so easily shut off people's critical faculties... hey, look, skin track: good! must be safe... Au contraire: if it's a fresh skin track leading into potentially hazardous terrain with an in-any-manner questionable snow pack one should be treating the situation as if there were no skin track at all, double-y so because most likely there are people above you significantly increasing the potential of being dumped on.

I almost wrote a report on this but at the time couldn't find a tone that didn't sound preach-y... plus I found it to be a bit of an ethical conundrum in terrain like that experiencing an upswing in popularity; what is my responsibility to the people below me? Even more so because we didn't realize just how many people were out there until we were leaving. I think it's part of what lead my partner and I to decide to try to avoid more populous areas like this in the future. With more people also comes an increase in mixed skill sets increasing volatility in areas like that.

Not sure if this has anything to do specifically with Monty but just thought I would toss this out there...

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Jun 2016 09:37 #227218 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Photos from Kendall Peak, December 19-20, 2015?
Thanks!

Will be in touch via PM/email. Trying to temper speculating/quarterbacking for now :).

More
20 Jun 2016 15:30 #227224 by PhilH

I almost wrote a report on this but at the time couldn't find a tone that didn't sound preach-y... 

Your thoughts and observations are valuable - please keep sharing. They are small pieces that add to all of our risk management puzzles. Grist for the mill, as my grandfather used to say.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Jun 2016 16:54 #227234 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Photos from Kendall Peak, December 19-20, 2015?
Hi again!

I'm looking for a party of two + a dog that got at least close to the near-summit ridgeline of Kendall between ~1 and ~3 pm on December 19th.

Also interested in a group of five that was skiing above "The Trees" that afternoon.

If you were in one of the groups above, or might know who was, please get in touch by PM/email. My apologies for being coy with detail, but it really helps to get people's unbiased recollections of the day. All we have to go on are people's stories and photos, and we're all fallible.

Still interested in anyone's photos that might show Kendall Peak at any time on December 19. Descriptions of unstable snow or tree-well encounters in Commonwealth/Kendall that day are useful too.

Thanks!

Charlie
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
29 Jun 2016 18:44 #227235 by mfonda
I toured up to the stump with two others on the 19th. Here's what I have in my notes for the day:

Snow was DEEP. Followed roughly the PCT for a while, occasionally breaking trail (not easy). Heel riser broke which made skinning was difficult. Finally got back on a skin track (good one) and had a nice skin most of the way to the top of the stump. Unknowingly had a strap come off. Between that and the lack of risers, ankle was hurting by the top. Difficult ride down without an ankle, but all in all a super fun day out in the mountains.

I recall that we headed further into the Commonwealth Basin than one might normally go when heading up to the stump, but we didn't make it as far as the typical "Kendall Trees" zone. Breaking trail was really difficult and slow going with how deep the snow was. It was knee deep or more while breaking trail. We descended the stump in the trees along the edge of the clearcut. I recall getting stuck due to deep snow a few times (on splitboard) on the ride down, particularly in more mellow spots. I don't recall observing any instability or encountering any treewells.

Here's a few photos from the day: