Home > Forum > David Walker, June 2016

David Walker, June 2016

• Kenji
  • [Kenji]
More
18 Jun 2016 16:45 - 19 Jun 2016 13:07 #227208 by Kenji
David Walker, June 2016 was created by Kenji
Last week our ski community lost a wonderful member, David Walker aka teledavid.  For the 8 years I have known him, he was strong and showed no signs of the illness that eventually took his life.  We skied Fremont Lookout 6 weeks ago and he was as strong as ever.

I first skied with him in Jan 2008 after he and his family moved to the PNW. He was a devoted family man dividing his free time among his family, skiing, sailing, backpacking.  As a long time Cascade skier, I enjoyed introducing him to many familiar places and in recent years exploring new places together. He also volunteered for avalanche education through the Mountaineers.  Many people might remember him through the Foothill avy courses.

He was one of the few full-time tele skiers in the PNW and we'll miss watching his graceful style and his big smiles.  He was a great friend and ski partner and I'll miss him tremendously.  Here are a few photos to share:

Skiing the West slope on Rock Mtn:

Skiing from Cach Col:

Skiing from Whitman Crest:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2016 18:01 #227209 by JW
Replied by JW on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
thanks Kenji for posting this .... I heard the sad news via Facebook and was about to put something on here as well.
David was such a kind and great person .... very genuine. He got involved with the Mountaineers Avalanche program maybe six years ago. I remember him doing his first lecture and thinking whoa we gotta keep this guy .... and we did, he became a certified AIARE instructor and was there for us every year. You will be missed greatly David and thanks for being such a great example of how a person should be .... your friend Jerry

More
18 Jun 2016 20:19 #227210 by NickD
Replied by NickD on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
Many condolences for your loss Kenji as well as David's family and other friends. Whenever I saw him there was always a great enthusiasm for being in the hills and gliding on snow. Big loss.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
18 Jun 2016 21:12 #227211 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
Sorry for your loss, Kenji and everyone else. I remember well meeting David the first time, making awesome tele turn in beautiful powder. Thanks for the post.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jun 2016 00:03 #227212 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
:(. Sad news. Every memory I have of David is of friendliness and stoke. Never skied with him, only met him in classes and at events, but always figured we'd cross paths in the mountains someday...

Thanks for letting us know, Kenji. Our thoughts are with you and with his family.

More
19 Jun 2016 12:23 #227214 by GerryH
Replied by GerryH on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
An incredible shock, Linda and I are deeply saddened  at David's passing.  Such a vital spirit, sharing that great smile and enthusiasm whatever the weather or ski conditions, whether teaching an avy class, coaching beginners or sharing adventure in the mountains with students and friends.  It is hard to look out at the blue sky of this Father's day without thinking of his beautiful wife and daughters and their incomprehensible loss, and of not having the opportunity to again share a class, a run or a day in the mountains.  Dave gave fully, was always totally engaged in the moment, and will continue to inspire. 

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Jun 2016 08:49 #227216 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
Shocked and saddened

More
20 Jun 2016 11:15 #227219 by Darryl
Replied by Darryl on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
How very tragic for David's family and friends.  David was a very kind gentleman.  He will be missed.

More
20 Jun 2016 14:37 #227223 by radka
Replied by radka on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
We are heartbroken and really struggling to comprehend the reality of this enormous, tragic loss. David was truly one of a kind.

David and Kenji in Westfalia, on our trip to Shuksan

David skiing Sulphide Glacier

On the summit of Rock Mtn with David and Kenji

David skiing Rock Mtn

David following the trail to the Moon, Baker BC

David skiing "teledavid's run" down Stetattle Ridge to Sourdough Lake

David and Chris with Jack Mtn in the background

At the end of the run

I am compiling my photos of David Here: radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Teledavid

More
20 Jun 2016 16:40 #227225 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
Thanks for the post, Kenji,

David will be missed dearly by the bc skiing community as well as his friends and loved ones.
with his easy and contagious smile he was easy to like. And with his knowledge of snow science and his ski skills, it was also easy to respect him.

Rest in Peace, Brother.

More
21 Jun 2016 15:46 - 21 Jun 2016 22:59 #227227 by radka
Replied by radka on topic Re: David Walker, June 2016
Dear skier friends,

I created a Facebook event for a get-together that's taking place on June 30th at 7pm at the Mountaineers Clubhouse in Seattle.
7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115.

I am not sure if you can open this link which is the Facebook invite: www.facebook.com/events/1608810496114615/

In case this link doesn't work externally, I am posting the details here.

David Walker's Life Adventures - A Gathering for Family, Friends, and Mountain People
Join us for a gathering to remember and celebrate the life adventures of our dear friend David Walker aka teledavid who we suddently lost this June. This has been an extremely hard skintrack to break for all of us who loved David and shared adventures with David in the mountains. Our outdoors community lost a wonderful friend, ski partner, instructor, and mentor and we will miss him tremendously. Let's get together and share stories, eat some pie, laugh and cry, and remember how David touched our lives and how we will carry his legacy forward.

When: Thursday, June 30th, 2016 at 7pm
Where: Mountaineers Clubhouse, 7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115

If you have any questions, please PM Radka or Kenji.