Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2016, Glacier Peak, White Chuck Glacier

June 1, 2016, Glacier Peak, White Chuck Glacier

6/1/16
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by zigz on 6/15/16 3:12am
Glacier Peak - May 30 - June 1

Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS5yhObh_I

Great trip.  One night at white pass. Several snow traverses on the way to white pass as we traversed around white mountain.  At white pass there are several snow free camps sheltered within the trees. On day 2 we didn't leave camp until 7am - made summit at 330 - back to camp 8ish - hiked out 9pm - 4am (brutal hike out through night)

My next trip to GP will be a two nighter:  get into glacier meadows day 1 - summit on day 2 and return to camp for a nights rest - hike out on day 3.  (other option is light and fast straight shot or a longer trip as the zone is full of some great lines).

We ended up on central white chuck glacier on the approach. It is better to stay climbers left from glacier meadows (skied out this way).  Climbers left through a gulley will provide a more direct approach without transitions and elevation gain/loss you will experience if staying climbers right on the white chuck glacier.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the report - cool video.  How bad is the washout 1.5 mile before the TH? Passable with 2WD?

I also think the two-nighter is more enjoyable.

Cool animation of the gps track. Looks like you had fresh snow, and great coverage. Nice trip!

author=ps44 link=topic=36654.msg149340#msg149340 date=1466022153]
Thanks for the report - cool video.  How bad is the washout 1.5 mile before the TH? Passable with 2WD?

I also think the two-nighter is more enjoyable.

Thanks!

The washout is significant. At the end of my video it is actually included (after the music attribution - last 30 seconds). It is much worse than it looks in the video. You can get over it if you have decent clearance without a 4wd vehicle; just depends how much bottoming out you are willing to risk. I have a tacoma 4wd and bottomed out on a few rocks. Very exciting to drive over tho! Several cars didn't attempt it and there were a few smaller vehicles that were at the th.  I think the washout is less than a mile from the TH but I didn't gauge it. I wouldn't let it deter a trip to GP.

author=mikerolfs link=topic=36654.msg149341#msg149341 date=1466023125]
Cool animation of the gps track. Looks like you had fresh snow, and great coverage. Nice trip!

Thanks Mike.

I use a Sunnto GPS watch and their "movescount app" which makes the GPS movie automatically. A friend had it on one of our trips so I had to get one.  I have the Sunnto Traverse which is a bit less complicated then the Sunnto Peak (also a bit weaker battery life on the Sunnto traverse). Highly recommend either as it provides all kinds of interesting metrics (altitude, descent, accent, distance, speed, temp and GPS).

Reply to this TR

june-1-2016-glacier-peak-white-chuck-glacier
zigz
2016-06-15 10:12:32