Home > Trip Reports > June 6-9 Enchantment Sampler

June 6-9 Enchantment Sampler

6/6/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 6/13/16 2:49am
My partner suggested we be at the trail head at daylight, but because I was in charge of departure, we made it by 11:30! Monday was I think the hottest day of the year so far, and that made the slog to the top of Aasguard less than pleasant, I was not thinking lite is right!  The accident the night before was still swirling around the area, and certainly had a  sobering effect on the climb as well.  The plan was spend a few days skiing the upper basin of the Enchantments, Mike was on the ball, and had a camping pass and invited me along for the fun.

Looks like Cannon Couloir would still go.

The wall.

Not a sheik.

As tired as we were, we had to make some camp turns to admire.

Left to right Little Annapurna, Dino Mite (Mikes name for the summit feature) X2, Dragontail, for day one, soo good

Then we had a goat convention, I think at one point there were twenty some goats in the area.

Day three we decided to go ski Cannon Mt., a great tour, stunning scenery, that I had never had a look at before, and some nice turns as well.  Saw what I suspect was a Wolverine track, and that always makes me happy.

Day four we skied out, the weather had cooled way down and we actually had to wait till 11:00 for it to soften up enough to have a go at the descent.  Even so it was fairly rattly, and made me plenty nervous, especially given the results of a fall.  Still plenty of snow to ski Colchuck or Aasguard, but it is going fast.

What a trip, Jamie! I was simultaneously working on a trip report (fancy that) and just minutes after you posted, I tabbed twice which apparently posts the report.  I'll delete mine. Here is what I had started to say about the trip:

The trip was so good, with great turns, sunsets, goat parties, and weather extremes including blazing hot, freezing wind, snow, rain and shine. Jamie and I didn't cross paths with anyone at all for two full days in the upper basin. Here are the highlights:

Here is Video from this part of the trip:

VIDEO

Camp at Freya Lake - an easy place to be, with a slope above that skied right to the tent.

Nature sightings galore. In addition to the marmot show, we had goats, chipmunks, little brown birds, and an osprey to watch. Since we were the only people camped in the upper basin, the goats fought over the rocks we peed on. At one point, several family groups converged and I counted 14 goats milling about our camp.

We skied several runs on Tuesday including the north slopes of Little Annapurna and Dragontail. Every run had a mellow part and a steep part and the whole day was exciting.

Skiing from "Dino", a sub-peak between LAnapurna and Dragontail. We skied this ridge twice and dropped both right and left to different lakes.

Snow conditions were perfect

Here is the view of Mission Ridge from Little Annapurna. Not much snow left back home.

The view from one of our many siestas. Cannon Mountain is on the left skyline. We'd visit that tomorrow.

A family of goats moving toward Witches Tower. Two babies, two mamas, and a yearling.

Jamie on the shoulder of Dragontail. One of my favorite ski pitches anywhere.

Jamie skiing that shoulder:

I started a slough on the steep part that continued for what seemed like 10 minutes. You can see Jamie waiting it out in the video.

We could see our signature from camp, and that was pretty nice.

On Wednesday, we toured over Prusik Pass to Cannon Mountain. The East slope of Cannon is visible from Wenatchee, so it was extra satisfying to ski here. On top we found a pile of ladybugs and had views into Hel Basin, which looks worthy of a ski trip itself. We also had one of the most dramatic views of the Stuart Range I've ever seen. From there, everything looks super steep and rugged.

Jamie on the Druid Plateau

Jamie skiing on Cannon Mtn toward Shield Lake

VIDEO

Outstanding! I have only been to the Enchantments once, in the summer, a long time ago but I recall many of the spots you described. Thanks for the TR and to jog some good memories. S2F
edit- watched the vid - love the shot with Prusik Pk as the backdrop and the Dragontail shot.

Reply to this TR

june-6-9-enchantment-sampler
jtack
2016-06-13 09:49:08