Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2016, Castle Saddle/Foss Peak

June 12, 2016, Castle Saddle/Foss Peak

6/12/16
Posted by telemack on 6/12/16 10:09pm
There is still snow at the car by Reflection Lakes.  We booted through the steep section, then skinned. The morning corn was looking just ripe, so we took a lap below the Castle.  Hello to TAY poster kciari and her crew, tutu-wearing or not! 
Then we headed south and down the ridge with skins on and on up to Foss.  A sluffing layer of 2" may have been from the light snow of the last couple of days.  The couloir below Unicorn has plenty of snow, though the Snow Lake trail is bare to the talus above Bench Lake.  Ski surfaces were excellent on north and west aspects.
Great views with the cloudy front coming slowly from the west.  We saw one other climber on Foss as we descended; otherwise we had solitude past Castle Saddle.
Other skiers had put in a good descent line, and it was still simple to make turns all the way back to the car.  With the cool cloudy weather this week, I'd say there is still some roadside skiing for a while.
Jill and I planned to tour above Mazama Ridge but the Paradise Valley road was closed at Paradise. We saw your car at Reflection Lakes and your boot tracks. We have not been in the area for years, back when the snowpack was bigger and the trees were smaller. ;)

The rangerette at the Nisqually booth told us the Paradise Valley Road was open, but 'twas not.
Checking out the Tatoosh from Paradise was helpful.  The summit of Foss has stunning views.
BTW both Lisa and I are RETIRING   8)  You two are role models.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2016-castle-saddle-foss-peak
telemack
2016-06-13 05:09:48