Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2016, Mt Adams - SW Chutes

June 4, 2016, Mt Adams - SW Chutes

6/4/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cascademystic on 6/5/16 12:16am
ethereal day of adventure skiing. started hiking at 4am and reached the summit by 10:40am. perfect timing for the corn harvest. droves of happy people all over the mountain. lower traverse out at 7100 ft is still worthwhile with a short section of skinning to get back to the climbing route. hwy 23 south of randle is washed out and impassable. better route is I84/5 through hood river.

Nice photos - thanks for posting. Four of us were up there the same day, summiting a bit later at 2pm. Very little wind at the false summit, and soft snow even at the top - a result of the 95 degree temps in the valley. We skied the White Salmon/Avalanche Glacier from the top and no crevasse issues (in previous years, and later in the year there can be a crack near the top). Good corn up high then transitioning to water skiing at the bottom.

Awesome! We were up there around the same time but went for the standard descent. I was so happy to be skinning in a tank top and shorts, and get up on top before it got warm! Beautiful sunshine and excellent snow for almost the entire way down! All of us had giant grins the entire descent.

Did you see any evidence of slides/instability in the SW chutes?

i too got a late summit around 1:30 and hit chutes around 2pm. (reasons outside of my control..I'm just happy my wife is happy enough to climb and glissade the south side.) Chutes were definitely baked by then and overcooked. But didn't see instability or slides. Some wet minor slough I suppose. I was skiing solo but leap-frogging with big group of (10?) out of Twisp/Winthrop & the bay area (?)..mountain was a fun busy place all day it seemed  :)

still great day to be out. next morning saw the two fellas who biked up from Husum, climbed and skied NFNWR Saturday and were checking out their work in the morning light from Takhlakh Lake. those guys deserve some props! Later saw them a little bit down 23 road and gave them some brewskis-they earned/deserved it. Cheers amigos, very inspiring!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXjeflyXf_/?taken-by=wamkind

author=water link=topic=36623.msg149228#msg149228 date=1465331187]
still great day to be out. next morning saw the two fellas who biked up from Husum, climbed and skied NFNWR Saturday and were checking out their work in the morning light from Takhlakh Lake. those guys deserve some props! Later saw them a little bit down 23 road and gave them some brewskis-they earned/deserved it. Cheers amigos, very inspiring!

Yeah, they have been crushing it this season. 

author=Patarero link=topic=36623.msg149234#msg149234 date=1465338225]
Yeah, they have been crushing it this season. 

Not actually NFNWR, more the NW ridge. Still dig the bike approach

Video of trip report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=361JasfrgmE

Reply to this TR

june-4-2016-mt-adams-sw-chutes
cascademystic
2016-06-05 07:16:05