Home > Trip Reports > May 31, Mt. Hood, Northeast Face

May 31, Mt. Hood, Northeast Face

5/31/16
OR Mt Hood
Posted by tabski on 6/1/16 2:24am
On Tuesday, the last day of May, JH and I climbed Mt. Hood via the Cooper Spur. We topped out and began to ski at noon, dropping off the summit ridge into the NE face. The snow had softened to the summit, but some of the upper slopes and the rocky gullies guarding entry to the shield still held ice beneath ~2" of spring snow. The shield itself held excellent snow, the bergschrund crossing was straightforward, and the snow on the Eliat Glacier was fast and smooth nearly to the terminus. It was the first visit to Hood for both of us and we were impressed by the sustained and exposed route, as well as the experience of dropping straight into the steeps from the summit, instead of the endless basketball rollover we're both accustomed to from our Washington volcanoes. We also felt like we were in Bolivia, but maybe that was just sleep deprivation.

Good snow mixed with hidden ice in entry gully.

Good snow through middle of route.

Route as seen from Hwy 35.

Nicely climbed and skied!  Brings back great memories.  Dan H. posted a photo of our descent down that face in 2010 and it traces almost the exact same path. 

Well done!

Dan's small photo:

Hood has so many classic lines..I've inly done the not-so-hair ball ones but it sure is cool to read about the seriuous routes too..thanks!

Well Done!
Where did you park?

Strong work!  We ascended and descended that route when we skied it in '97.  Mid-June if I remember correctly.  It was a big snow year and I remember the bergshrund as much more filled in.

Fun. I've been thinking about heading down there as well. That steep headwall is intriguing!

author=pin!head link=topic=36605.msg149109#msg149109 date=1464823910]
Well Done!
Where did you park?

From another source, recommended parking at TJ and biking to cloud cap.

Parked at the gate which is right at the Cooper Spur ski area, hiked dry trail through the burn to TJ and onto the spur.

author=Patarero link=topic=36605.msg149123#msg149123 date=1464881172]
From another source, recommended parking at TJ and biking to cloud cap.

did you mean to say parking at Cooper Spur and biking to cloud cap? Have you done that? Am weighing a 9 mile bike ride with skis on back vs. 2.4 mile hike with skis on back...

Tab you rock!!

And last I checked Oregon is not in Bolivia.

well done, fellas!  that's an appealing line that i've long wanted to ski.

airy flow, well done!

Reply to this TR

may-31-mt-hood-northeast-face
tabski
2016-06-01 09:24:33