Home > Forum > Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted

Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
29 May 2016 16:23 #227144 by ace117
Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted was created by ace117
I haven't been able to see the mountain yet this year. The plan is to ski the Coleman. Just wanted to the scoop on the road situation, the crevasse situation, and snow levels. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2016 11:01 #227147 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted
I was up at the Coleman tourist overlook on Sunday. I didn't get a clear look at the upper part of the glacier below the CD col but what I could see looked good. The glacier below the overlook is almost dry. The trail was mostly dry with a few muddy patches, I'd walk in trail runners and carry ski boots. You could start skinning at the normal climbers trail up the hogsback and the road was easily passable to the trail head. Hope this helps.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
07 Jun 2016 00:37 #227187 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted
Just a quick note from today (Monday), inspired by Charlie Hagedorn. On the upper Coleman and Roman Wall (I would guess above 8200-8500 feet) there apparently was a hoar layer that got snowed on late last week. The 15 degree slopes of the upper Coleman kept collapsing that layer and creeping me out; once on the lower Roman Wall, one could see numerous shallow crowns, all entraining an impressive amount of snow and pouring over into huge crevasses. I didn't go above the chossy rock rib on climber's left for the lower third of the wall as a result (the climber's left side of the open Wall has not released yet). The route from there down skied very well, down to below the Hogsback.

• runningw/scissors
  • [runningw/scissors]
More
16 Jun 2016 13:10 #227205 by runningw/scissors
Replied by runningw/scissors on topic Re: Mt Baker Coleman Route Beta Wanted
BUMP

Anyone been there since 6/7? Thoughts on this weekend?

Sounds marginal w/ 3-7" of new accumulation to form slaps & cornices.

Thanks,

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
16 Jun 2016 22:30 #227206 by peteyboy
30-35 cm fresh Cascade summer styropow at 6800 -7400 ft. Slow moving cement slabs on anything steep down low. Very few windows today - milk bottle most of the day with little glory shots. Skied well from as high as one could go to Climber's Camp, trap mank at camp and for a bit below, then good for the short bit until done at trail level below Hogsback.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
16 Jun 2016 22:41 #227207 by peteyboy
Weekend might be magic but the weather change Sun. PM may make the avy hazard extreme by Monday at the latest. There must be a whole lot of new snow up high and as soon as the sun cooks it, it'll come loose.