Home > Trip Reports > May 17-18, 2016, Chiwaukum Tour in 30hrs

May 17-18, 2016, Chiwaukum Tour in 30hrs

5/17/16
Posted by dtveten on 5/26/16 5:00am
Who: Daniel & David Tveten

What: Chiwaukum Ski Tour

When: May 17-18th (30 hrs)

David and I got a late start up Chatter Creek trail to our camp at Lake Edna, transitioning to skis ~6200ft on Chatter Creek trail. Leaving camp at 7am, we followed ski tracks though the col in the photo just above Edna, and continued northward traversing the southeastern flanks of Snowgrass Mountain. We packed our skis through an exposed scramble, after which we descended toward Lake Charles, and then continued northward around Big Chiwaukum. We gained the ridge above Cup Lake, and left sudden white-out conditions for a fun descent with a few very minor wet-slides. We passed the lake and stayed left, and climbed back into the clouds via the snow on the far ridge. From there, we maintained elevation with excellent views of the Scottish High Lakes area. We reached a steep slide path, referred to as The Swath, and followed the ridge left a couple hundred feet till we found a more appealing shoot. After a (horrendous, epic, painful) brush battle, we followed a deteriorating logging "road" back to our ride on White Pine Road.

If you want more photos or any specific info, just text me (see # below). I can't seem to figure out the pictures thing here on TAY. For more info on the route, see Backcountry Ski Routes Washington by Martin Volken, published by Mountaineers Books:
https://www.rei.com/product/873427/backcounty-ski-and-snowboard-routes-washington?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8734270001&CAWELAID=120217890000846831&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

(I requested it from the library)

Look fun? I'm always looking for skiing/rock climbing/mountaineering partners, so if you have anything like this for which you want a skilled, fit partner, just text me beta and your plans. Here are a few trips I'd like to do if I can find willing victims:

Dakobed Traverse (+summit of Glacier Peak?)
Ingalls Peak south ridge 5.6 rock climb, and/or nearby Mt Stuart. Ski Cascadian Colour?
Mt Rainer, Ski Furher Finger, Emmons Glacier, or climb Liberty Ridge
Mt Hood ski ascent.
Anything on Leavenworth granite! I'm doing Prusik Peak West ridge tomorrow.

*Text My Cell: (509) 860-0620
I live in Leavenworth on Ski Hill Drive!

Happy skiing!
Oh goody, the pictures worked! Seriously though, text me for more pictures or a skiing/climbing partner.

Reply to this TR

may-17-18-2016-chiwaukum-tour-in-30hrs
dtveten
2016-05-26 12:00:48