Home > Trip Reports > december 30, 2005, Hohe Wasserfalle, Austria

december 30, 2005, Hohe Wasserfalle, Austria

12/30/05
Europe
Posted by kam on 12/29/05 10:00pm
Schoene Gruesse von Oesterreich!
Wir haben tollen Schnee!

i met Greg Louie (gregL) in Munich at 8am on the 29th. we rented a car, drove to Niederthai, a small village in Tyrol. Niederthai in the off season is pop. 280. we're staying with Michael's family and will be skiing for a couple weeks.

the snow is okay here:

photo 1
photo 2
I'm jealous!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Good God Man.......!

I believe epic has be redefined.... ;D

kam.
nice to see your great shots and the blue bird skies. it was puking here all day; deep in the north side of skyline ridge, lovely. keep us all posted on your travels. enjoy.

very nice Kam, looks a little better than that bald knob in Virginia  ;)

Wow! I didn't see this one coming 8), Nice move boys!
Keep the photos flowing......Jerry

Very nice...glad your trip's off to a good start in that fine Alp pow! (hmm, moment of nostalgia there...)  I presume you were able to find some extra epoxy to complete your newest pair of homemade skis before you left?...

Woohoo!! Very nice, have a great time  ;D.

Schneebers that don't look to good. :)

all i can say is tear it up--but don't die in an avalanche.  

Kam didn't mention that the temperature was -22 C. that day; the snow was really cold smoke and delightful to ski. The guy in the top picture is Florian, a neighbor of Michael's and a mountain rescue guy for the valley; a complete animal going both up and down. It's really an inspirational experience to be in a place where whole families ski the backcountry and the tradition is centuries old (maybe older, Niederthai is just around the corner from where they found the frozen remains of the 8,000 year old herder a couple of years ago). The view from the top of Hohe Wasserfalle was incredible; the Austrian, Swiss and Italian Alps stretched out for a couple hundred kilometers, just like a postcard. Couldn't properly sign the "log Buch" because the pens were all frozen . . .

friends. apologies for the few words. Net connection is difficult in Tyrol (or Tirol) and the Euro keyboard drives me nuts...

here is a trip report with photos. do enjoy.

Greg and i are now in Switzerland for a short visit with his brother and sister inlaw. we're on our way to Grenoble tomorrow, then to Chamonix. Austria was wonderful. the Niederthai water still treats me well ;D.

Paul: it was good to ski the knob in VA. now i have something to compare it to.

Wipe: yep, we found epoxy and just in time. but my new rides suck! too much camber again, even at 16mm. i think <5mm is ideal. they keep submarining and i cartwheel about every 3 turns. oh, the carbon fiber makes them too stiff.  what was i thinking???. back to the drawing board.

Nice TR guys! Where is the TR for the Brand? ;-)

Glad you guys enjoyed the Austrian alps - now off to the French Alps ;-)

Thanks for sharing your adventures!
Great inspiration and a reminder of the endless possibilities.

Enjoy Chamonix. Ski the Grand Montet if your plans allow.
Wishing you stable snow and deep powder!
Joe

Reply to this TR

december-30-2005-hohe-wasserfalle-austria
kam
2005-12-30 06:00:27