Home > Forum > Binding release self test

Binding release self test

• thunderchief
  • [thunderchief]
More
13 May 2016 20:59 #227043 by thunderchief
Binding release self test was created by thunderchief
I had to unscrew a few things to fix a binding the other day, so I reset everything as best I could and tested em. So I have my bindings set to release just before max effort on my part, when I stand, braced, and try and twist the toe out/in or lift the heel up. Like if I pushed much harder I feel like I might hurt something in my foot. Fortunately, this corresponds fairly closely to my recommended DINS settings, so I am about 99% sure I have em right where I want em.

Just wanted to run it by some of you more expert skiers to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 May 2016 22:23 #227044 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Binding release self test
That's pretty much the old skool method (1960's)-- set the tension at the level that you can static release using your own muscle power without pain. Then go ski -- if you pre-release -- increase tension 1/4 turn and repeat until pre-release stops being annoyingly frequent.

By why not join the modern era an use a DIN setting calculator.

www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipmen.../din-calculator.html

Also -- why not take them to a shop and have a professional inspection and setting?

Consider the cost of even having a simple sprain treated at the Emergency Room -- not to mention the evacuation via helicopter.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 May 2016 15:27 #227058 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Binding release self test

I had to unscrew a few things to fix a binding the other day, so I reset everything as best I could and tested em.  So I have my bindings set to release just before max effort on my part, when I stand, braced, and try and twist the toe out/in or lift the heel up.  Like if I pushed much harder I feel like I might hurt something in my foot.  Fortunately, this corresponds fairly closely to my recommended DINS settings, so I am about 99% sure I have em right where I want em.

Just wanted to run it by some of you more expert skiers to make sure I am not missing anything.

Of course Randy is right. However, I have done the following my whole life for me and my family of 5 with no negative results.
Find a din chart online and set it correctly.
Figure out how to do the forward pressure check (again online)
Have someone stand on your tails and quickly and forcefully pull out your heel. (It should be moderately hard)....do both skis
Then with just the boot in the binding. (No foot in it) hit the front side of the boot with the palm of your hand, and knock it out of the toe. Do this on both sides and in both skis. (Careful you don't hurt or bruise your hand.) Again, the boot should pop out - but it does take a good hit.

Lastly.......it's good to be able tons lions credit card under the anti friction device without it touching the sole of the boot. Some toes can be adjusted up if need be.

Brian

Thanks!