Home > Trip Reports > May 10, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

May 10, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

5/10/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 5/10/16 6:27am
Snowline varies substantially by aspect at the Pass. Central and West are melted out, didn't make a thoughtful glance at Hyak, but I bet it's cooked too.. Shady/treed slopes hold snow. In flat shaded W-facing terrain, we picked up continuous snow at 3680'.  A little soft in the trees, firm in the open on our way up above 5k. Corn was beginning to soften on steeper E/S facing slopes at ~9am.  Steeper western slopes, even in the trees, are on their last legs.

If it's south-facing, steeper, and open, it's probably cooked. If it's west-facing, it'll probably go soon.

Skinny skis worked well for travel. Shaded firm suncuppy slopes provided lots of foot massage on the way back to the car.

Thanks, Richard, for what may be a last morning ski of the season.
The south facing face of Hyak was about baked a month ago.  I did a quick evening tour that required a short boot up to the stream crossing and skinned from there.  The snow on the north side was fairing much better at that point.  I drove by two weeks ago and it looked like a booter to the beer can with marginal skiing at best between the patches even midway up.

Sad to hear Summit West is toast.  She provided some good turns to the car on 5/1.  Snow is melting fast with the warm temps and sunshine

Reply to this TR

may-10-2016-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2016-05-10 13:27:47