Home > Trip Reports > May 8, 2016, Alpental

May 8, 2016, Alpental

5/8/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Randito on 5/8/16 1:30pm
Started skinning  20 feet from patio.  Went up Sessel and Lower International  to the bottom of clouds at level of snake dance gate..  Snow suprizingly  smooth and not sticky, short, but fun outing.
Found similar elsewhere at the Pass. In the open, skiing is good above 4k where there's snow; in the trees, there's oodles of tree litter. South and west facing slopes are starting to get cooked, even in the trees. I think Snoqualmie has passed through the worst of pollen-season. 70mm skis worked great.

Did a solo tour yesterday afternoon to the top of the padded seats, too. Very few folks out and about; I ran into a group finishing-up as I was starting up who reported that Upper Nash was firm but skiable. By the time I got up there 145 mins later the E-Bowl side had gotten sticky but the late afternoon descent down l'Internationale offered superb corn, I suspect partly due to the morning's light drizzle which I mist out on ;D

Called my mom while lounging about in the thin clouds up top, she was happy to hear from me. With coverage below 4k going fast and this week's forecast, I suspect there'll be some portaging for those who attempt to ski(n) from the patio next weekend. The typically "Closed" entrance into Nash still goes just fine. It's definitely a rock hop if you choose the path more traveled.

Reply to this TR

may-8-2016-alpental
Randito
2016-05-08 20:30:55