Blackcomb - 05/07

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 May 2016 21:40 #227009 by ddk
Blackcomb - 05/07 was created by ddk
AaaaaaHaaaaaaa - The Blackcomb Report!......Did today what I haven’t done since I was a lot younger…the big one day round trip to Whistler….many in the past and probably even more now would say, Lordy that’s a stupid thing to do! Oh well the skiing was very fun! And it wouldn’t be the first time somebody has called me stupid.
Got up way to early to hit the road north by 4am – ouch…crossed the boarder with no wait around 6am, pulled into the old base of Blackcomb at 8am – nice lucky fast trip with very pretty sunrise….Took a snooze, got ready and jumped onto Excalibur at 9:30 ( half hour before the advertized start time). Snow quality? Still firm early, but softening fast, good coverage up high still, but the bottom of Excelerator, Solar Coaster and 7th Heaven all getting pretty thin…some will not last till the end of the month. Glacier still had happy coverage and great snow mid day…not to sticky snow except for the flattest places. Suadan opened up early afternoon and I saw a few doing when I was paying attention – talked to a guy on Jersey that was lapping it…only problem is he had to ride Jersey and traverse to 7th Heaven to make a cycle ( he indicated it was a 25 minute trip…we all know that this hamster just cant make that much effort). Horstman T-bar wasn’t running (and it looked like it hasn’t for a while, otherwise I would have made some Suadan laps. I spent time doing runs down Solar Coaster and Glacier mostly, again coverage was pretty good, but there were places that needed extra attention to get past. Bailed out at 3pm (mainly do to lack of sleep) and headed south (took another snooze on the way home. Got lucky, the truck crossing at Blaine only had a 5 minute line, so getting to come back that route made for a faster trip home (usually its Aldergrove). Best traffic travel times I have ever had. Fun day all in all, nice views on the Sea to Sky highway, lots of kite boarders ripping the big winds in Squamish.

Other – Close to the lifts parking, light crowds all in all, no soups (station closed) and dang no pizza either (new menu at Rendezvous is kinda crappy). Lots of hot shot bump skier camps going, lots of happy folks skiing in the big hot sun (was 80 in the Village when I left), looks like summer down low and still like winter up high…

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 May 2016 23:01 #227010 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Blackcomb - 05/07
Corn heaven. It has skied great the past few days. We're loving the "spring add-on" deal which incented us to make two trips in just over a month. I do wonder if they'll have to download on Solar Coaster and Excelerator before they close on May 30.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.