Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2016, Silver Peak

May 7, 2016, Silver Peak

5/7/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by artfreeman on 5/7/16 12:49pm
Jim and I had the same idea for Silver today and were both stopped at the spot where snow still blocks the road (before the major right-hand switchback) wondering whether to bag it or not.  We decided to team up and make the extra effort to walk up the road, drawn by the allure of the legendary Silver corn. 

Very soon we were on what appeared to be continuous snow and skinned merrily up. We ditched our walking shoes by the side of the road.  This last part falls solidly into the "live and don't learn" category.  The snow ended and we--too lazy or hopeful to go back and get the shoes--ended up walking in ski boots about 1.5 miles to where the real snow started near the meadow and where one often parks in a normal year.

Coverage up the old clear cut was still very good.  The long run from near the top down toward Annette Lake was great. It may not last much longer.

Some pollen on skis.

Maybe Jim will post a photo. He got some of me looking really good. 
Great day to be on Silver Peak. Almost did not happen! The road prior to the cut off to Mt Catherine has a significant amount of snow making it impossible continue. Was turning around when I met Art. Not wanting to go alone we teamed up to give it a try. Walked the first hundred yards then skinned up when the snow appeared to be continuous. Let our shoes behind (big mistake) then continued on.  The road cleared at the Mt Catherine trail head and we continued on in ski boots for close to 1.5 miles until the snow became continuous. The skin through the meadows was typical with ample snow. Made it to the peak in good time. Met Eric and Martin whom had just returned from a run down towards Lake Annette on the north spline. They said the corn snow was excellent. Took a break at the top for a few photos. I have we never skied that spline only the center or south. The entrance was very easy. The snow was top notch corn. Art saidwas the best he had had ever had here. For me it was about an 8.5 out of 10. Does not get much better. The snow was continuous to the trees but is receding and quite thin in places. Maybe another week. The road is an issue. If it clears you can get close to Windy Pass but a downed tree blocks the road about 1/2 mile from there. Encountered pollen for the first time near the road on the way down. We had to pole downhill. Have to thank Art for the fine line to the road. Did not expect to see such a sparse crowd. Check out the 98 year old skier video, very impressive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90415057@N06/albums/72157668112100735

https://mail.wsconline.net/OWA/redir.aspx?SURL=12SgAnJB6iivoxU18SRXOW9bLFVwRz9HlCpnFskAvA52EYe4CnfTCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAHkAbwB1AHQAdQBiAGUALgBjAG8AbQAvAHcAYQB0AGMAaAA_AHYAPQBGAFkAaABQADAAdwAyAEIAWABnAGcAJgBmAGUAYQB0AHUAcgBlAD0AeQBvAHUAdAB1AC4AYgBlAA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dFYhP0w2BXgg%26feature%3dyoutu.be

Corn skiing was pretty good, though the snow pack melting out fast up there this season, some lines no longer go (already).

My observation at about 4k on North facing was roughly between 2~3' snow depth.

Git'r while you can.

At the choke points of the run we were hitting rock on the boot pack up.
Hope the center spline has better coverage.

Reply to this TR

may-7-2016-silver-peak
artfreeman
2016-05-07 19:49:04