Home > Forum > DPS Wailer Tour 1 binding mount questions???

DPS Wailer Tour 1 binding mount questions???

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
06 May 2016 16:35 #226997 by slacker
Does anyone skiing the DPS Wailer RP2 Tour 1 have any useful feedback on binding location for this ski?
There seems to be limited information out there.

The little bits of info that I have been able to find suggest that mounting the binders forward (at least +1.5) really makes this ski come alive and  I have not read one single thread suggesting a -1, minus anything, or even the factory midsole mount position. 

The reviews that I have read say that it is really hard to drive the tip of this ski into the ground even when the bindings are mounted forward.

I tend to drive my skis hard with my knees so I would be inclined to mount them midsole but maybe I can mount forward, get more out of the ski,  and still have a ski that rises to the surface.   

I am open but resistant to the idea of changing my "style" to a more neutral stance.

Any feedback would be mucho appreciated.

I would love to get it right the first time around.  THX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 May 2016 06:50 #226999 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: DPS Wailer Tour 1 binding mount questions???
What is the ski telling you?
You must listen close and look hard, the ski will tell you.

More
07 May 2016 14:27 #227001 by filbo
Never forget, no matter what the shape of the front of the ski, in the powder you always want enough ski in front of your toe to actually float, Length there is a good thing.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 May 2016 19:27 #227004 by Scotsman
I have Wailer 112 RP's, 112 RPC's and Cassiar 95.
All are the Pure versions and 184mm.
I've always mounted Wailers at +1 and for the most part ..that's the traditional wisdom for that ski in the Pure and Hybrid versions.
The Cassiar's are mounted on the line as they are a more traditional shape

The Tour 1 versions may be different but I doubt it.

If you call DPS, they will discuss it with you and make a recommendation.... I've found them very
helpful in that regard.

Don't drill until you've made up your mind.

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
07 May 2016 19:45 #227005 by slacker

What is the ski telling you?
You must listen close and look hard, the ski will tell you.

Thanks alpy.  You are a true ski whisperer I perceive.  

As per your suggestion I just had a long intimate stare down with my new skis and I believe they did actually speak to me (or was it just in my head)

In time I heard  "mount me however you want! but just mount me and ride me hard!"

I guess its a good thing my wife is out of town for mothers day.   Thanks for the beta.   Gotta go now.

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
07 May 2016 19:48 #227006 by slacker

I have Wailer 112 RP's, 112 RPC's and Cassiar 95.
If you call DPS, they will discuss it with you and make a recommendation.... I've found them very
helpful in that regard.

Don't drill until you've made up your mind.

Thank you I will do that.  Drill once.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
07 May 2016 20:12 #227007 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: DPS Wailer Tour 1 binding mount questions???
I've got a different but somewhat similar shape, lightweight carbon touring ski (G3 Synapse 101) - I found that it was more difficult to drive the tips than any of my other skis - they're mounted on the line (Dynafit).
I found that adjusting forward lean on my boots really helped a lot. Adjusting Ramp angle can help a lot too. So, if still not able to drive the tips hard enough once mounted, you can always try fwd lean and ramp angle. Although you may already have your boots totally dialed in and not want to do any mods there - just a suggestion that worked for me. Keeps the fwd length long for pow as others suggested. I do like the 'listening to you ski" idea - so true.

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
08 May 2016 13:59 #227014 by slacker

I found that adjusting forward lean on my boots really helped a lot.  Adjusting Ramp angle can help a lot too.  I do like the 'listening to you ski" idea - so true.

My set up is going to be quite different next year for sure.  I'm going from  Automatics mounted with Guardian 16's and a 12 year old Endorphin boot to  a DPS Touring ski, Backland boots and Ion 12's.

The Backland has no adjustment for forward lean.  Only one position but I think its soft enough (100 flex they say) that I can drive them.  Question...as far as adjusting ramp angle.....how would I do that?  I could only guess at this point. 

And all jokes aside ... I'm going to have a real hard "listening" session as well. 

Thanks so much.  There must be thousands of years of combined touring experience on this site...between like 20 guys.... ;)

TAY is a great site.  I've gotten so much useful information and reading entertainment here over the years.  I totally appreciate it.  Doug

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
08 May 2016 15:12 #227015 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: DPS Wailer Tour 1 binding mount questions???
As far as changing ramp angle, there are two ways to effect this:
1) Inside the boot: adding a heel wedge under your footbed, or to go the 'other' direction, grinding down the heel of the footbed or heel of the footboard. This effectively changes 'anatomic' ramp angle, but also changes how your foot/leg 'sits' in the boot - this is where 'listening' to what your feeling while skiing will help you decide if this is the right way to go. Adding wedges are cheap, easy and reversable if you don't like it. Grinding the footbed is also 'relatively' inexpensive, if you don't like it, you can replace the footbed. If it's an off the shelf Superfeet or similar, if you don't like it, it will only cost you $50-ish to replace. If it's a custom othotic - well that's another story. Grinding the plastic footboard - should be reversable - that is if the boot manufacturer can sell you a replacement.
2) Outside the boot: Shims under toe (or heel) of the binding. I would call G3 if your using their Ion binding (or a ski tech you trust) for their recomendations - they might sell shim packs - not sure.

Personally, I have not changed ramp angles using shims under my bindings, although I'm thinking about it, but don't really want to mess with that now. I've done a ton of 'soft' modifications to my boots over the years (1/2 wedges, 1/4 wedges, foam rubber pads, rubber tapes, footbed grindings) as well as making use of the 'built in' adjustments (adjustable fwd lean, cant adjustments, spoilers, etc). I have never needed to make any 'hard' modifications to my boots (shell grinding, punches, etc). All of the mods and adjustments I've made have been from 'listening' and 'feeling' while skiing and adjusting accordingly - once dialed in, my boots feel great, snug as a glove, no hot spots, nor slop or movement, I can wear them buckled all day long. Ski performance is also enhanced, skis sit flat in my natural stance, etc. Only problem I have (bow legged and duck footed) is that it's hard for me to leave a nice straight skin track - if you see a herringbone skin track - it's probably mine.

More
10 May 2016 16:46 #227028 by DG
I ski Wailer 99 (Hybrids) and have found that +1 is the sweet spot, too.

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
12 May 2016 20:15 #227038 by slacker

I ski Wailer 99 (Hybrids) and have found that +1 is the sweet spot, too.

It's Good to know that. Mounting a little forward seems to be the common theme. Thanks for the input.