Home > Trip Reports > 1 may, 2016, cascadian campout

1 may, 2016, cascadian campout

5/1/16
Posted by bs. on 5/5/16 4:01am
for some reason i've had a hard time getting back into writing trip reports after breaking my ankle a couple years ago.  maybe i'm trying to dial things back a little and leave the "getting rad" to the younger folks... or maybe i've just been preoccupied trying to learn to edit video.  either way, i liked a few of my photos from last weekend's trip enough to motivate me to post them somewhere, so here you go.

a couple of my friends wanted to climb the west ridge of sherpa, and i wanted to try to be cool like carl & his crew in their recent video, so we decided to go camp near the top of the cascadian couloir.  we parked at the bean creek trailhead and had easy travel over to turnpike creek drainage (well except for crossing bean creek).  not too much trouble crossing turnpike, and surprisingly quick to find a snow/alder bridge over ingalls.  we set up camp around 8,200 feet and then climbed up to the top of the line for a sunset run back to dinner and a tasty array of whiskies.

it was a beautiful evening to camp in the alpine, and i looked forward to a relaxing morning in camp while my friends went climbing.  but the route looked very cold, shady, icy, and uninviting, so we all decided to have a nice breakfast in camp and take a morning run down the eastern variation of the cascadian, which was getting the early morning sun and corning up already.  we rode about 2k feet of fun conditions and then booted back over to our previous day's tracks for the climb back to camp.

it was great to finally get a chance to ride the cascadian!  not quite as steep as i'd imagined it to be, but a really fun descent.  the line is melted out around 5700ft, so we hiked down from there.  we found an even better crossing of ingalls just a little upstream of where the couloir drains in.  as shown in the last photo, there is another line just west of the cascadian that seems to be better filled in down low.  i don't think this is the ulrich couloir... just one of the many options on this face!

I see Imran!!!

Beast! 

Yeah one of these days I need to do a big line to be "cool like Carl"😄

not another cascadian video!

(though someone does fall in a creek in this one)

https://vimeo.com/166671179

Reply to this TR

1-may-2016-cascadian-campout
bs.
2016-05-05 11:01:04