Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2016, Alpental

May 4, 2016, Alpental

5/4/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 5/5/16 2:30am
I started the day with an MRI on my left ankle. So I knew a day skiing would improve things. Ski boots, alpine and backcountry, feel pretty good. About 1pm the fog was lifting and I drove up. The gate was installed with a sign so I parked near the bridge. Putting on my boots I noticed my pack which was outside the Sub lift getting wet. I don't ski in the rain. So I waited for the rain to stop and get nicer. Within 15 minutes it was time to get on the boots and go up.  Met 2 snowboarders and I asked about the pollen. €œNot bad and there is a cat track that is clean.€   I followed there down tracks and went over to the cat track. They kicked steps up the track and one skier skied part of the track The track is a single with a deep rail/trench on each side of the track. I tried skiing up the track but it is so narrow that you turn and turn and turn. I spread out my up line but there are other old tracks. Don't go up between St Bernard and Sessel lifts until the base gets a bit flatter.

Near the top of Sessel I heard some guys and looked down towards the base. I can not see the base-just fog that was dense.  A skier is heading down in my direction and is dragging something. A line that is used on the hill-long line/rope with flags.  He is gone in the fog. I am heading up towards Lower International and I notice something on my glasses. Within a minute it is drizzling and then more drizzle. I get it.  Stop and go down. I noticed that there were just moguls to the skiers right of Sessel lift and before the rocks area. That was OK but the snow was very mushy. As I got lower and see the lodge, I see 3 or 4 long ropes in the  the snow but no Patrol.  I noticed that I should have skiined up towards the trees and under the Armstrong lift.  I usually go that way and the moguls looked better. I was able to ski down but felt a bit of a drag. It was still drizzling at the base. When I started driving down, the heavy duty rain started.. I called Jill about picking up some BBQ at Preston. She asked €œhow was the skiing€. I said €œ I will tell you when I get home€. She knows what that really means. I need to tell the story with more meaning in the story.  She had decided to not ski today.  Another great call. At home I looked at the skis and the tips had pollen BUT the back half of the skis had only a little pollen. Art and Robie, it is getting better. ;)  I used my Purple Power Citrus Cleaner to clean the skis and then re-wax again. I need to go higher.
Zap, after what happened last time, you go skiing in the rain/fog, in a known pollen area!  I am beginning to question your judgement, buddy.  I may head over to the the Teanaway area next couple days (will still bring pollen kit, which is basically a small bottle of Goo Gone and some rags), but have not heard of any pollen there.  Obama is trying to get funding for the pollen early warning system, but can't get it through congress.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2016-alpental
Zap
2016-05-05 09:30:50