Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2016, Around Chair Peak

May 1, 2016, Around Chair Peak

5/1/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Garth_Ferber on 5/3/16 9:01am
Will Silva and I had a nice clockwise tour around Chair Peak on Sunday. We left the upper Alpy lot around 9 am and got back at about 4 pm. Snow coverage is still great.

We booted the shoulder between Pineapple Basin and Bryant Col and skied back over Snow Lake which is solid instead of over the Chair Peak shoulder as suggested in Martin's book. I'm not sure exactly when we skied from Bryant Col down to Melakwa Lake, maybe around Noon and it was still firm except the last couple hundred vertical to the lake.

Stability was good, we only triggered some very, very small loose wet avalanches on the steepest solar slopes. This is a great little tour so close to home.

Back at the upper lot there was a big last day of the season party going on with the lot pretty full. A guy showed me how to open a bottle of beer with the tip of a ski pole.
... and I showed that guy how to open a beer with another beer after which he asked, "What do you do when you only have one beer left?" Obviously you go to the store for more!

Glad you and the other uphill-inclined folks enjoyed the Lot 4 festivities. The group returning from an overnight glacier skills course was less enthusiastic about being parked in...

I have a theory on The overnight hikers that fucked the parking In LoT4.
I think they were told to park, front of car along snow wall. My guess is their leader figured 150 cars lined up side by side front facing would make towing away difficult.
So they lined em up along the entire wall instead of lumping the cars next to the trail.
Summit Corp. was useless in assistance to it's guests.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2016-around-chair-peak
Garth_Ferber
2016-05-03 16:01:27