Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2016, Summit West -Pollen

May 2, 2016, Summit West -Pollen

5/2/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 5/3/16 6:09am
I needed some exercise so I drove to the Pass and looked at some options. First, I  stopped at West and there was enough linked snow to get to the top of the Pacific Crest chair lift. Next, I drove to Central which did not look good, but there was enough snow at The Silver Fir chair to climb part the Outback trail.  But you only  see the lower part... Last stop was East.  That did not look good at all €“ of what I could see. I went back to West, put on the skins, and went up around Julies and Pacific Crest lifts and then on up to the top.  The 360 Bowl had good coverage so that would be my second run (so I thought). The first 100 vertical was fine, BUT then I ran into the pollen. It was terrible; I could not go down. I pointed my skis down and I was stuck in the snow.  I took off the skis, and it looked like I had pollen growing on them. And I had nothing to remove the pollen. Arggh!  So I poled down the hill €“ poling down hill kills your quads.  My only advice €“ don't ski at West, don't ski where there's pollen. Like The Tooth approach.    ;)
You would think we would have learned by now to always bring a "pollen kit" along this time of year, since you never know when it will strike!  But, did you try my emergency technique where you sit way back in your boots and crank the tips up Wayne Wong-style and then go flying down the hill on the tails of your skis, out of control, until you hit something or your quads fail?

Pollen kit =good idea
Ive been dogged by Pollen the last 4 tours. Paradise glacier on  monday was not so bad but I'm cleaning bases now fo rthe 4th time. Baker Coleman pinnacle for sure below tree line.  But worse of all was Snoqualomie area low elevation. But then again

Reply to this TR

may-2-2016-summit-west-pollen
Zap
2016-05-03 13:09:48