Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2016, Pineapple Pass-Tooth-good snow-pollen

May 2, 2016, Pineapple Pass-Tooth-good snow-pollen

5/2/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by artfreeman on 5/3/16 3:31am
Continuous snow still from upper Aplental parking lot, although lots of dirt and tree detritus on lower sections.  Slopes are still relatively smooth, and although it was warm, it is packing down and was firm enough to be very skiable. 
At the S end of Pineapple Pass I snuck through the trees and had a nice run down and right on the backside, then skinned up to the start of the Tooth rock climb.  This is a really good way to approach the climb on skis.  It was the first rock climb for the students in our Mountaineers Basic Alpine course, and although we did not break any speed records, we all had a great day in perfect weather. 

WARNING. There is bad pollen on the snow.  Bring lots of GooGone and a rag to remove it.  I forgot mine and was suffering.  Discovered a technique to temporarily reduce the breaking effect of the sticky pollen.  Since the pollen tends to build up mostly on the front of the ski, I found that if I sat way back on the rear of my boots (like some very bad skiers do!) the tips would come up enough to give me some speed.  Desperate measures....try it if you dare.

Reply to this TR

may-2-2016-pineapple-pass-tooth-good-snow-pollen
artfreeman
2016-05-03 10:31:13