Home > Forum > 12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....

12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....

• korup
  • [korup]
More
26 Dec 2005 10:08 #212041 by korup
Headed up through rain all the way from Seattle. The bottom half of the mtn was slushee on top of a breakable crust; the top half was actually decent, with 6 inches of wettish new snow. Freezing line appeared to be around 4000 ft from 11-3-ish; did laps on Upper Intl, pushing lots of heavy snow around, then headed out. It was the emptiest I've ever seen it, a total of 5 other folks on the Edelweiss, maybe 30-40 at the whole place. It felt like the temp was dropping, so could be a good sign for this week!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jasonsalvo
  • [jasonsalvo]
More
26 Dec 2005 11:16 #212043 by jasonsalvo
Replied by jasonsalvo on topic Re: 12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....
I was one of those few braving the rain, and it turned out to be pretty darn good. In fact, I probably had the best run down Edelweiss I've ever had: 4" of new, no moguls, and first tracks.... not bad. But International was even better. Smooth and buffed out, it was like skiing on butter, and not a soul to be seen from top to bottom. By the time we left, the snow line seemed to have dropped from the top of Debbies to around the gut... which is definitely a good sign.

• shuffler
  • [shuffler]
More
26 Dec 2005 11:52 #212044 by shuffler
Well my friend...I do believe I had first tracks as I had first chair and did not see you in front of me!...but you are correct about one thing...those were some goooood turns. 8)

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
26 Dec 2005 12:19 #212045 by cascadesfreak
Replied by cascadesfreak on topic Re: 12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....
Pretty nice skiing up high there today indeed; was still carving freshies all around Edelweiss Bowl in mid-afternoon...the snow level had dropped to the parking lot by the time I left at ~4 pm (though still got a heavy wet snow-soaking during the last 3 runs on the lower mountain)...

• korup
  • [korup]
More
26 Dec 2005 13:19 #212046 by korup
were any of ya'll wearing a yellow-green jacket and helmet? I figured anyone out there in that weather must be a slightly-insane TAYer...

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
26 Dec 2005 15:59 #212047 by cascadesfreak
Replied by cascadesfreak on topic Re: 12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....

I figured anyone out there in that weather must be a slightly-insane TAYer...

huh, whad'ya mean ??? ;) Nah, I was in a blue-green jacket and helmet, on teles... I figured there would likely be some other TAYers at the Alp today as well :) Conditions were sure better than I expected though, after arriving at the base area in a downpour...

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
27 Dec 2005 12:35 #212050 by sheispiste
Replied by sheispiste on topic Re: 12/26/2006-Alpy, Welcome to the monsoon....

<br>I figured there would likely be some other TAYers at the Alp today as well

<br>Well, we sure wouldn't want to disappoint! Despite the closure of I-90 during what would be the time for first tracks, my friend David and I headed up the pass and arrived to Alpy 'round 10:40 am. David hadn't been skiing in two years (gasp!) so we took a warm warm up on Deb's Gold and then lost a layer of clothes. Snow was new, thick, and true Northwest cement. Eidelweiss bowl proved much much better, with 10 inches or so of light-ish powder on the super solid ice layer below. Great turns to be had.<br><br>We ran into fellow TAYer Daniel, his wife Sara, and their wee one at lunch and Daniel spoke highly of Upper Nash, although warned of the icy entrance. Clearly coming into lower nash, the nash got nasty. We even saw some sunbreaks and great views. But by late afternoon, and a bit of heavy fog and drizzle, the lower sections of the mountain offered quick, consistent, carvable snow. Bummer if it freezes tonight with no precip, but the temps will allow for snow if it's dumping. <br><br>Enjoy it out there! <br>Jessica<br>

• Chucksan
  • [Chucksan]
More
27 Dec 2005 14:51 #212051 by Chucksan
I skied upper Nash about pretty early (100 people ahead of me in line when they opened Chair 2) and there was avy debris everywhere on upper and in some sections on lower from when the patrol was doing control. <br><br>Doesn't bode well for a stable backcountry.