Home > Trip Reports > Christmas Eve 2005, Wash. Pass.Hairpin

Christmas Eve 2005, Wash. Pass.Hairpin

12/15/05
Posted by Skier X on 12/24/05 8:33pm
Pouring rain on top of 3' of new snow was to much for the forces of gravity to resist.A constant barrage of avalanches fell to the valley floor.All Libertybell chutes ran across the highway.4to5' crown slabs 300' wide ran from all bowls ,especially n ne aspects.Guide Gulch (Spire Gully) ran BIG with car size snowballs in the deposition zone.We set up at the old hairpin gun mount,drank lots of coffee and watched and listened to the show while summoning the nerve to recross the Cuthroat slide debris.We warned 5 snomachiners that were unknowingly approching liberty chutes.They deceided to proceed and we watched alternating slides and crossings from across the draw.It was like a bad dream.The barrage was so frequent a rescue would not have been sanely possible ,if possible at all.Luckly they all made it up.After 2 hours we headed home for Christmas.Be safe and Happy Holidays,  Total snowpack 4'   X
Pictures? Video? Sounds like quite a show!

It was raining soooo hard,I had a new digital camera,not knowing its tolerance for moisture resistance,I  decieded to protect it until I was sure . Sorry.

Wow, huge change from Thurs, when I did not see any avalanche debris at the hairpin. I am hoping that things settle down there for next weekend. BTW, if you frequent the WA Pass area, I am looking for a backcountry skiing partner(s). I have a Yamaha Rhino side by side atv with tracks, and so can get up to the WA Pass/Rainy Pass areas with relative ease (just a bit noisy). David

Well, Mr. Scott, you just claimed first place in the all time best-first-post contest!  From which side do you access WA Pass?

I come from the Winthrop side.

>:( Ah, well.  There's goes a beautiful relationship!

Reply to this TR

christmas-eve-2005-wash-pass-hairpin
Skier X
2005-12-25 04:33:26