Home > Trip Reports > 4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)

4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)

4/21/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by avajane on 4/21/16 12:14pm
Saw Silas's report that a week ago "the nimble" could cross Bean Creek and stay dry...Not today! Though I teamed up with Frank (just met while both going solo) we could not find safe passage. He had been on Earl 3 days earlier and he said there was twice as much water now! We saw a flimsily set up that may have worked last week but would be suicide now. If I had brought a rope I could have worked something out but we were also afraid of the afternoon flow increase.

If your're a steep creek kayaker, Peshastin Creek in on fire right now. Ingalls Creek is terrifying!

Road is clear to just before Beverly Campground. Stafford Creek road is clear to Stafford Creel trailhead. I hiked 75 minutes up the trail with a light pack and never got to continuous snow. Saw Wolf, Cougar, Bear, and Elk tracks though! Always nice when you're alone on a deserted trail... I guess I wasn't alone...
Who said you've gotta stay dry? :) We took off boots and forded last weekend, about shin deep.

Edit: just saw your video. Holy smokes that's an amazing difference a few days makes.

Wish I was there last weekend and I'd have done the same. If I'd done that today I'd still be wrapped around some log or rock on Bev Creek. Creeks rise...

We occupied the Teanaway 4/15-4/20 crossing the growing creeks every day.  Crossing Beverly creek at 4am on our last day there was "interesting".  Those kitty tracks were fun to see and a wee bit intimidating!  Had to turn up the tunes to let him now we were near ;).
FYI, we never skied Earl. Other peaks in the area were holding better snow conditions.

I put a very short Video on the TAY Facebook page snowing Ingalls creek near its end at the Ingalls Creek Trailhead. Happens every year but more quickly than usual this season. All the fish are getting violently relocated...

author=snoholic link=topic=36349.msg148165#msg148165 date=1461334426]
We occupied the Teanaway 4/15-4/20 crossing the growing creeks every day.  Crossing Beverly creek at 4am on our last day there was "interesting".  Those kitty tracks were fun to see and a wee bit intimidating!  Had to turn up the tunes to let him now we were near ;).
FYI, we never skied Earl. Other peaks in the area were holding better snow conditions.

I've never been one to be afraid of being alone in the woods but dealing with bears, Cougars, and now Wolfs is starting to fray this solo guys nerves.

Thanks for the report!

Is the Stafford Creek now open, or are they still logging?

I'm not extremely familiar with the Teanaway area, but I've seen winter reports where people stay entirely on the east side of Bean Creek to get to Earl. Did you not do that because the snow levels are too high and it would not be easy?

Thanks!

author=mbravenboer link=topic=36349.msg148183#msg148183 date=1461369272]
Thanks for the report!

Is the Stafford Creek now open, or are they still logging?

I'm not extremely familiar with the Teanaway area, but I've seen winter reports where people stay entirely on the east side of Bean Creek to get to Earl. Did you not do that because the snow levels are too high and it would not be easy?

Thanks!

Stafford creek trail is open. Road is closed at bridge/picnic area for logging so no going to next trailhead at Miller.

The south/east side of the Bean Gully is really steep and right in the hot sun. I guess once you gained the ridge too you might be all right.

Ah thanks, appreciate the info! I misinterpreted the closure info! You saved me some trouble along Bean :).

Either bring tevas or wade with bare feet in shells with liners and socks in pack.  Fast moving water has considerable force, anything above knee deep requires careful consideration.

Yup. I carefully considered it and left. Going back better prepared tonight or tomorrow am.

That's me - totally prepared! Left my ski boots so went peak bagging on a high ridge and spooked a bear cub and had to leave. Saw some wet people from the ford but they survived.

Mr. Ava Jane,

Nice meeting you out there.  Solid effort on trying to make a crossing...  The beers at the road made it worth it!

Nice meeting you. We'll cross paths again. I've got to work on my timing. My last 3 days out I hiked over 20 miles and got in about 20 terrible turns. Even Mike Rolfs would call that a dysfunctional turns to effort ratio!😣

Reply to this TR

4-21-bean-creek-bust-high-water-in-the-teanaway
avajane
2016-04-21 19:14:36