telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 10:19 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)  (Read 2615 times)
avajane

4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)
« on: 04/21/16, 08:14 PM »

Saw Silas's report that a week ago "the nimble" could cross Bean Creek and stay dry...Not today! Though I teamed up with Frank (just met while both going solo) we could not find safe passage. He had been on Earl 3 days earlier and he said there was twice as much water now! We saw a flimsily set up that may have worked last week but would be suicide now. If I had brought a rope I could have worked something out but we were also afraid of the afternoon flow increase.

If your're a steep creek kayaker, Peshastin Creek in on fire right now. Ingalls Creek is terrifying!

Road is clear to just before Beverly Campground. Stafford Creek road is clear to Stafford Creel trailhead. I hiked 75 minutes up the trail with a light pack and never got to continuous snow. Saw Wolf, Cougar, Bear, and Elk tracks though! Always nice when you're alone on a deserted trail... I guess I wasn't alone...

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
bfree32

Re: 4/21 Bean Creek Bust (High Water in the Teanaway)
« Reply #1 on: 04/21/16, 11:10 PM »

Who said you've gotta stay dry? Smiley We took off boots and forded last weekend, about shin deep.

Edit: just saw your video. Holy smokes that's an amazing difference a few days makes.
« Last Edit: 04/22/16, 06:50 AM by bfree32 » Logged
avajane

« Reply #2 on: 04/21/16, 11:20 PM »

[u][/u]Wish I was there last weekend and I'd have done the same. If I'd done that today I'd still be wrapped around some log or rock on Bev Creek. Creeks rise...

aaron_wright

« Reply #3 on: 04/22/16, 07:10 AM »

Link to video?
snoholic

« Reply #4 on: 04/22/16, 07:13 AM »

We occupied the Teanaway 4/15-4/20 crossing the growing creeks every day.  Crossing Beverly creek at 4am on our last day there was "interesting".  Those kitty tracks were fun to see and a wee bit intimidating!  Had to turn up the tunes to let him now we were near Wink.
FYI, we never skied Earl. Other peaks in the area were holding better snow conditions.
avajane

« Reply #5 on: 04/22/16, 03:50 PM »

I put a very short Video on the TAY Facebook page snowing Ingalls creek near its end at the Ingalls Creek Trailhead. Happens every year but more quickly than usual this season. All the fish are getting violently relocated...

avajane

« Reply #6 on: 04/22/16, 03:55 PM »

We occupied the Teanaway 4/15-4/20 crossing the growing creeks every day.  Crossing Beverly creek at 4am on our last day there was "interesting".  Those kitty tracks were fun to see and a wee bit intimidating!  Had to turn up the tunes to let him now we were near Wink.
FYI, we never skied Earl. Other peaks in the area were holding better snow conditions.
I've never been one to be afraid of being alone in the woods but dealing with bears, Cougars, and now Wolfs is starting to fray this solo guys nerves.

mbravenboer
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 04/22/16, 04:54 PM »

Thanks for the report!

Is the Stafford Creek now open, or are they still logging?

I'm not extremely familiar with the Teanaway area, but I've seen winter reports where people stay entirely on the east side of Bean Creek to get to Earl. Did you not do that because the snow levels are too high and it would not be easy?

Thanks!
avajane

« Reply #8 on: 04/22/16, 05:08 PM »

Thanks for the report!

Is the Stafford Creek now open, or are they still logging?

I'm not extremely familiar with the Teanaway area, but I've seen winter reports where people stay entirely on the east side of Bean Creek to get to Earl. Did you not do that because the snow levels are too high and it would not be easy?

Thanks!

Stafford creek trail is open. Road is closed at bridge/picnic area for logging so no going to next trailhead at Miller.

The south/east side of the Bean Gully is really steep and right in the hot sun. I guess once you gained the ridge too you might be all right.

mbravenboer
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 04/22/16, 05:10 PM »

Ah thanks, appreciate the info! I misinterpreted the closure info! You saved me some trouble along Bean Smiley.
Randy

« Reply #10 on: 04/22/16, 07:05 PM »

Either bring tevas or wade with bare feet in shells with liners and socks in pack.  Fast moving water has considerable force, anything above knee deep requires careful consideration.
avajane

« Reply #11 on: 04/22/16, 07:58 PM »

Yup. I carefully considered it and left. Going back better prepared tonight or tomorrow am.

avajane

« Reply #12 on: 04/23/16, 08:48 PM »

That's me - totally prepared! Left my ski boots so went peak bagging on a high ridge and spooked a bear cub and had to leave. Saw some wet people from the ford but they survived.

Frank Sosa
5Member

« Reply #13 on: 04/25/16, 09:39 AM »

Mr. Ava Jane,

Nice meeting you out there.  Solid effort on trying to make a crossing...  The beers at the road made it worth it!
avajane

« Reply #14 on: 04/25/16, 10:00 AM »

Nice meeting you. We'll cross paths again. I've got to work on my timing. My last 3 days out I hiked over 20 miles and got in about 20 terrible turns. Even Mike Rolfs would call that a dysfunctional turns to effort ratio!😣

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.