Home > Trip Reports > April 20, 2016, LCC

April 20, 2016, LCC

4/20/16
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 4/21/16 3:45am
I'd never skied in Utah; a Salt Lake conference for work seemed like a great angle.

Long-time friend Kyle attended the conference too, and while we'd never skied together, we both wanted to ski. I was game for simple exploration, but Kyle aims high (and often succeeds), so the south face of Superior became a strawman plan.

Access to touring is ridiculously easy. Mellow slopes abound for beginners, and there are plenty of steep/exposed features for those who choose them. It's easy to see how the Whippet might have emerged from the Wasatch.

Timing was the tricky bit, so we arrived at the summit of Superior early. Kyle's skinning along the frozen ridge was impressive; ski crampons were requisite for me. We dropped off the ridge to the north on our way up; skinning up to the summit was less stressful than booting the ridge. A north-side lap kept us entertained until the south side softened, then lightly overcooked.  Heavy turns were the rule all the way down, with manageable but impressive pinwheeling.

At the road a little after 11, we still had hours to go before we needed to jet to the airport, so we scurried up Grizzly Gulch and skied a chute each in Wolverine Cirque. 

Caught my 5:45 flight and kinda just sat there, sunburned, happy, and catatonic.

Logistics: A rental minivan made gear fiddling effortless. Econolodge in Sandy worked fine. "Sweet Tomatoes" all-you-can-eat buffet was healthy and tasty.
Fun.
Rockin' picture, Charlie.

Holy Toledo I love that view . . . . to say it takes me back in the day would be an understatement.

Thanks for the pic . . .

Reply to this TR

april-20-2016-lcc
Charlie Hagedorn
2016-04-21 10:45:29