Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2016, Nisqually Chute

June 17, 2016, Nisqually Chute

6/17/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Chamois on 4/19/16 12:47am
We had a good day on the Nisqually Chute on Sunday.  We went up to about 9k and then dropped in.  The chute was fun and the lower glacier as expected, pretty sticky.    We met two other folks who dropped in somewhere around Pebble Creek and had a nice chat, wished them well and off they went.  The we had what I€™d describe as an €œodd€™ encounter with a group of climbers/skiers.

We were picking our way through some boulders about 30 feet from where we would have to stop and take off skis.  Several of them came up on us quick and bumped (literally brushing by one of our group) by us only to then have all of us clogged up there taking off our skis(?).  Not an €œexcuse me€ or €œpassing on your right€ from any of them.   It took us by surprise.  One of our group said €œhey €“ what€™s up?€.  No reply.  We looked at each other like WTF is it with these folks?

I guess they were pretty serious and stoic mountaineers €“ all in all a pretty rude showing.  I don€™t get it.

And one note - likely this past weekend was the last to ski to the bridge.  We had some dodging of boulder moats and bridges along the Nisqually and then ended the day with a 50 yd alder love fest.
Scarred and/or nervous. Quite possibly it wasn't even intentional. Many people handle stress like that. They may have been at their risk tolerance limit. When I get there, I'm prone to say inappropriate thing. People don't always like that either...

Appreciate the perspective, hadn't thought of it that way.  While a bit nervous in the chute on tele, it was a casual day compared, say, to skiing the finger.

..............or they could just be jerks.

Reply to this TR

june-17-2016-nisqually-chute
Chamois
2016-04-19 07:47:45