Home > Trip Reports > Dec 23, 2005, Near the banks of the Mississippi

Dec 23, 2005, Near the banks of the Mississippi

12/23/05
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 12/23/05 4:03am
Not really "backcountry," but not lift skiing either. We arrived in Minneapolis in the wee hours last night for our annual Christmas visit with my wife's family.

I headed out on Columbia Golf Course this afternoon. It was warm, in the 40s F, with about three inches of poorly consolidated snow. I didn't have the right wax, so I did a lot of slipping and poling with my old classic XC skis. There was a prepared track fortunately. I saw another fellow skating, which seemed to work better. Maybe I'll try skating with my floppy old gear tomorrow.

Not great conditions--but skiing beats walking! The last few visits there has been no snow. I was reduced to taking walks around the golf course in the evening by headlamp. At least this year I can ski, sort of. Think snow!
Lowell:
Similar conditions exist in Milwaukee, WI. Glad to hear others are enjoying skiing in the Midwest. Beats not skiing all to hell!

funny, that's right where I grew up.  made trips all winter by bike to that Columbia golf course for classic and skating and sliding since I was little.  
Nice hills there for those Minnesota plains
:)

Hey Lowell!

I used to ski at Columbia Golf Course, too.  Our high school skiing league used to have meets there.

Good to see you're making good use of your time in MN.  I usually end up in pubs when I go back to visit. ;-)

Happy New Year!

Tim

Wow! Who knew that Columbia Golf Course was such a nexus for great skiers? Next you're going to tell me that Bill Koch learned to ski there or something.   ;)

When the snow is good (which it hasn't been for several years running) the skiing at Columbia is really fine. It's only about a mile from my in-laws' house. The smokestacks on the horizon are easy enough to ignore and pretty soon your mind wanders to Scandihoovia...

Since my training table in Minneapolis consists mostly of Christmas cookies and stuffing, I'm happy for any exercise I can find.

Reply to this TR

dec-23-2005-near-the-banks-of-the-mississippi
Lowell_Skoog
2005-12-23 12:03:15