Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2016, Mt. Baker, Squak

April 18, 2016, Mt. Baker, Squak

4/18/16
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by JimD on 4/18/16 11:31pm
I camped at the end of the road and got going before 5. I followed the snow machine tracks up the valley. Perfect temps and a bit of a breeze kept me cool all the way (t-shirt most of the way). Wind kept the crust over the recent new snow supportive all the way up, so easy skinning all the way to the top (crampons for last 1500 ft.). I've never seen the Squak or the headwall so filled in - nary a crack exposed. The headwall skied well, as did the next 1000 ft., but the crust soon gave way to 5 inches of mashed potatoes, then to slurpie in the hot sun. I hate to admit it but the snowmobile tracks helped pack it down so I followed the main set down through the lower section and out (the whoop-de-doos not as helpful on the flats down below). The machines will be having their way for a while yet, but if you can go mid-week it isn't bad - only 3 up there Monday.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1683/26523630405_0e03934534_o.jpg</script>" />
Sunrise on Glacier Pk.

Headwall
Nice shots!  Sounds like I should wait a bit longer until the snow firms up.  Thanks for the TR.

We summited yesterday (19th) in beautiful sunshine.  Had the privilege of flying my paraglider down and landing at Schrieber meadows which was awesome!  We didn't see any snomo's until at the crater, there were 2 over at Sherman Peak.  The bridge they use at Railroad grade has collapsed and they can't cross, could go via Squak.

Thanks for the updates and that's rad haggis!!!

Cooler than a moose & twice as hairy haggis!!

Reply to this TR

april-18-2016-mt-baker-squak
JimD
2016-04-19 06:31:59