Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2016, Vesper Peak

April 17, 2016, Vesper Peak

4/17/16
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Ninjapants on 4/18/16 1:11pm
Just info, pics too big sorry...
Mountain loop hwy still closed at deer creek, started biking with skis around 8am. Stashed bikes at sunrise mine trailhead at 9, nice peaceful ride in with no one around, 5 miles paved, 2.5 dirt road in great shape. Hit snow around 3200' rounding the corner of morningstar. Tons of debris in the Wirtz, a few small hanging cornices left here and there. Booted up Headlee, no refreeze the night before so it was work. Still a cornice at the top, we came up climbers left and crossed under it at the top, climbing the rocks on the right to avoid holes and rock moats. Traversed skiers right to the ramp and hit the summit by 1:30. Ski down was a bit sticky but not bad, I was expecting worse with the added miles on the bike.
22 miles total, 8 hour, get some.
Nice early work. On Headlee, did you climb up left, right under rock cliff? Did you notice chute to the right that was an ascent option? Cornice on it as well?

Yes, up climbers left of the main chute next to the rocks. Then merged with the main chute about 3/4 of the way up still staying left until about 50 ft from the cornice then quickly crossed under it to climbers right to top out. Both options lead to the same cornice, lookers right main chute is the clear path if it broke. I'd stay clear of the rocks on a warm day if they still held snow but that wasn't the case....pick your poison I guess.
It's not super over hanging, but big enough to pay attention to on a hot day....
An early start the day after a refreeze would be the ticket

Reply to this TR

april-17-2016-vesper-peak
Ninjapants
2016-04-18 20:11:46