Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2016, Mt. Baker, Squak-Easton to 8500

April 17, 2016, Mt. Baker, Squak-Easton to 8500

4/17/16
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by adamedunn on 4/18/16 3:28am
Had a free day and the weather looked decent, wanted to go Sunday but was running the Yakima Skyline Rim 25k that day so Saturday had to do.  Got to the parking spot on FR 13 at about 7.  Earlier start would have been better, not knowing the approach and not planning on pushing to the summit it wasn't that big of a deal starting later.  Parking spot is still 1.5 miles from the TH making for a very long approach.  I went up the Squak "trail" to start and after relying on GPS through the forest popped out at the base of the Squak glacier.  I then traversed up and over towards the Easton glacier and met up with the standard route.  Turned around after 5 hrs at the 8500 or so foot level.  Snowmobile tracks went up higher, close to the crater.  Saw some other people on the mountain, not many though.  Weather was overcast with flat light and it looked like clouds and wind on the summit.  The ski down wasn't that great, perhaps I was descending too late in the day, tricky conditions.  Skied down the Easton route and soon got to sticky snow.  The last miles to get back to the car were a drag, was debating about putting the skins back on but stuck with skating instead.  I want to go up again for the summit when the weather is better and you are allowed to drive to the TH.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamedunn/albums/72157666687828270

Reply to this TR

april-17-2016-mt-baker-squak-easton-to-8500
adamedunn
2016-04-18 10:28:21