Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2016, Mt. Baldy, Olympic Mountains

April 15, 2016, Mt. Baldy, Olympic Mountains

4/15/16
WA Olympics
Posted by David_Britton on 4/16/16 2:40am
Characteristically, there was not to be a free lunch in the Olympics on this adventure.

Ascended from upper Maynard Burn trailhead (3,000 ft) encountering solid snow at 5,400 ft, to Baldy summit (6,797 ft)  Forecasted building high pressure manifested in dense fog with occasional sucker holes making for tricky navigation. Middle Baldy bowl had 2-4 inches of heavy pow over a super smooth, refrozen, and highly compacted base.

Overview photo taken "day after" from town of Sequim... thanks to Matt Schonwald for sharing the adventure.
Great! That one has been on my list. Was there skiing before the ridge over to Baldy? Hard for me to recall how much vertical there is after that.

We booted the ridge directly to false Baldy, hitting solid snow at about 5,400 ft where summer trail enters meadow to climbers right. After the lap in the center bowl, we skied down same ridge to same place.

Next time I'd probably skin up the meadow to inspect it for a descent. Given lack of vis, we stuck to the ridge and up-route on the down.

Makes sense, I remember thinking about skiing what was probably that same meadow on a past hike.

Reply to this TR

april-15-2016-mt-baldy-olympic-mountains
David_Britton
2016-04-16 09:40:27