Home > Trip Reports > April 13, 2016, Silver Star

April 13, 2016, Silver Star

4/13/16
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by mikerolfs on 4/13/16 10:45pm
Coron, Lucy and I had other plans that fell through leaving us with a 24 hour blank slate. At 9PM on Tuesday, Coron suggested Silver Star and at 5AM Wednesday we headed from Wenatchee toward Winthrop. Even though our other plans involved skiing, this felt spontaneous and exciting to me, so there was a bit of extra fun built into the day. I'd skied this area with NCHeli, but this was my first time skiing Silver Star by my own uphill effort. The road is gated at Silver Star Creek. We were the only vehicle in the pull out, and we didn't see anyone else until the end of the day when we met some bikers headed up the closed highway.  The snow is melting fast. It looked like a few more hot days and it might be difficult to ski car to car.

Forest approach:

Scenic Skinning: The area of exposed slab visible above Lucy increased by the afternoon.

Sea of peaks from the Col:

Airy view from near the Silver Star summit (we didn't go to the top)

Skiing was great, and mixed. We had winter-like preserved powder near the top, dust on crust in the middle, spring corn near the bottom of the cirque, and mush on the exit. None of it was bad, although the exit was work.

Lonely truck at the end of the road:
Looks good, the PP (preserved powder) shot of Coron is perfect.

Why'd you stray from the summit?  Timeline?  Rad photos!

Thanks Mike!  All my old Silver Star trips (none in at least 8 years) were just like that (never mind one gnarly wayward uphill route-finding exception).  Thanks for the memories.  I wondered if she was still in as I froze to death biking the road at 6 :30 AM last Sunday.

cool!  one day...

author=Eggplant_Alpinism link=topic=36298.msg148003#msg148003 date=1460687806]
Why'd you stray from the summit?  Timeline?  Rad photos!

There was a short steep rock bit at the top that I wasn't comfortable with. Like the last 15 feet.

Coron sent me some photos... Thanks Coron! Here are my favorites:

Seven Fingered Jack, Maude, Buck Mtn, Bonanza, and Glacier Peak from left to right?...Duncan Hill on the far left?

Those COOP skis look awesome. How do I get a pair?

Sweet spontaneous choice!  Looks like you had a great day up there with favorable conditions.  SS is on my bucket list. Thanks for another nudge towards this one.

Reply to this TR

april-13-2016-silver-star
mikerolfs
2016-04-14 05:45:21