Home > Forum > Mt Hood Meadows climber equipment requirements

Mt Hood Meadows climber equipment requirements

• johnspeth
  • [johnspeth]
More
13 Apr 2016 14:35 #226833 by johnspeth
I bought a spring pass at Mt Hood Meadows.  I'm still conflicted for supporting that company but it was cheap.  I've been at war with them ever since they chased me down with a snowcat as I was approaching Pea Gravel Ridge.  Sorry for the digression.

There's a sign for the climbers trail at the top of the cascade chair to check in with the ski patrol before climbing.  Last week one day I checked in, paired up with another climber, just about to start up and then a zealous patroller asked to see my probe, shovel, and beacon.  He admitted none of that equipment was necessary that day.  It was just the price of admission.  He said it's their way of ensuring only knowledgeable climbers get access.

My opinion is that Mt Hood Ski Patrol is backwards with their policy.  That policy reinforces the notion that simply having the equipment will ensure a safe trip regardless of the knowledge of when and how to use it.  It's my opinion that the safest trips will (at least should) avoid avalanche risk.  The moment you set your beacon to receive, you've failed.  It's in fact best to acquire the skills to travel in these uncontrolled areas safely, or not at all when the risk is not favorable.

I carry a shovel and dig pits when I'm in the backcountry and retreat when I see trouble.  I've found the other stuff is just dead weight.  Hopefully Mt Hood Ski Patrol will read this and persuade the MHM Policy Lawyers that they need to update their thinking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Apr 2016 17:12 #226836 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Mt Hood Meadows climber equipment requirements
It's really only safe with an approved BC pass at another area.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Apr 2016 23:45 #226802 by pipedream

It's really only safe with an approved BC pass at another area.

Speaking of which... my approved proof-of-waved-liability pass for said area is somewhere in said "backcountry" zone. If anyone finds it, or the season pass attached to it, please turn it in to your nearest friendly guest relations representative

And on the subject of silly avy gear requirements, anyone remember that time Stevens was requiring beacon + shovel + probe + partner to ride Hogsback early season? I've never been angrier at a ski resort than I was the day "Hogsbackcountry" was in effect...

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Apr 2016 10:39 #226843 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Mt Hood Meadows climber equipment requirements
Friends on a powder day.

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
15 Apr 2016 15:18 #226844 by sheispiste
I talked with patrol at Timberline this week, for what it's worth, about their uphill policy. I was told "above the Mile, anywhere," he gestured, "was fine. Be watchful for snowmobiles, but since Palmer is closed, you can have at it. Enjoy."

I did; delicious days in sun, butter, and new snow.

• GoodVibesOnly
  • [GoodVibesOnly]
More
28 Apr 2016 20:08 - 28 Apr 2016 20:12 #226937 by GoodVibesOnly
Replied by GoodVibesOnly on topic Re: Mt Hood Meadows climber equipment requirements
I agree that the requirement for Super Bowl is kind of silly. On the days it's open a slide is very unlikely, and if one were to actually occur it's probably going to be huge meaning you're either going to luckily escape its path unscathed, or be dead. I understand the reasoning for it though and applaud the requirement. With the growing interest in backcountry skiing, including the horribly named "sidecountry", anything that helps the general public understand the potential risks associated with leaving the normal ski area is a positive step.

ESPECIALLY when those new to the sport may come across various backcountry forums where certain people claim that aside from a shovel, other rescue equipment is just dead weight. Officially added to the list of people I have no interest in backcountry skiing with. Good luck out there with your shovel!

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
29 Apr 2016 13:00 #226942 by skibacks
Good discussion.  I was at an avalanche lecture and Edward R LaChapelle was introduced as America's foremost avalanche expert, which he quickly debunked by saying "The only people that are experts are dead."

I agree that decision making IS very important, but it is just one factor.  And then there is the matter of people skiing above you - kinda like sharing the road with drunk drivers; some of your best thinking CAN still fail, due to situations beyond our control.

In the end, the mountain holds ALL the hole cards.  As a less experienced alpine touring skier, I choose to carry the "dead weight" of a beacon & probe.  The most experienced AT skiers I know would never go out without a "full" pack.