Home > Trip Reports > April 11, 2016, Diamond Peak

April 11, 2016, Diamond Peak

4/11/16
Posted by Erased on 4/13/16 1:32am
Erased
Thanks for the Diamond report.  Considering heading down there later this spring - surprising to hear that the snow level is already that high. I figured that they had decent accumulation in those parts, but I guess it was a warm winter.  Do you figure the upper slopes (above treeline) will still be good in late May?

Thanks for the report. But all the pics are broken and not publicly viewable, at least for me on a Mac (tried viewing in both Safari and Chrome), and even trying to view the images URLs at googleusercontent.com directly in a new window did not work.

author=KLW link=topic=36291.msg147968#msg147968 date=1460579912]
Yeah, we were surprised too!

The Salt Creek snotel was calling it just shy of 2' still at 4800' on the N side but there was zilch left at 4800' on the SW side on Monday... except for the roads. Maybe that snotel site sits in the middle of a road? ;)

Very surprised that the snow depths on the SW side are so different than the nearby SNOTEL sites. The Salt Creek Falls SNOTEL is actually even lower at only 4220 ft, and still shows about 20" (with consistent-looking data). It's in a clearing in the forest, about 100 meters north of ORE 58 and 100 meters west of FR 5894, 6 miles north of Diamond Peak, so it's definitely not on a road. The Cascade Summit SNOTEL at 5100 ft Pengra Pass, 6 miles NE of Diamond Peak, also shows 54", and the Summit Lake SNOTEL at 5600 ft, 5 miles south of Diamond Peak, has 88". So there's over 7 ft at 5600 ft on the south side a few miles away, and near-zero in the trees at the same elevation on the SW side? Bizarre!

I've only skied Diamond a handful of times, once every few years since 2000, so I've never managed to get fully familiar with the springtime distribution of snowpack on that mountain.

The pics in the TR are visible just fine now! Thanks for fixing it.

Thanks for the info, it does sound like earlier may be better down there, for ski conditions and insect avoidance.  The Southern Oregon Cascades mosquitoes are deserving of their own horror movie.

Reply to this TR

april-11-2016-diamond-peak
Erased
2016-04-13 08:32:03