Home > Trip Reports > April 8-10, 2016, Thompson Pass AK, Tailgate

April 8-10, 2016, Thompson Pass AK, Tailgate

4/8/16
Posted by powersa on 4/12/16 2:37pm
Mostly went up to visit/ski with a friend who lives in Anchorage. We decided to head to Tailgate at Thompson Pass (near Valdez) at the last minute.

We pulled in around 8pm on Friday night. Camped (for free) at the Worthington Glacier pull out. Woke up to a wintry mix on Saturday, talked about bailing, but decided to stick it out.

Did a short tour (https://www.strava.com/activities/542527960) up to about 4,500 feet mid-day, followed sno-machine tracks until visibility got too bad to carry on.

Didn't really get turns in, but overall, glad we made the trip. Tailgate is pretty awesome, even if it's not your exact cup of tea. Great to see so many different people exploring the back country.

Biggest takeaway: next time I go to Alaska to pursue something in the mountains, I'll take at least 10 days to account for weather. Even then, I think it might be better to head up when you see a good window in the forecast.

Hot noodles in a cloud

Did you get a chance to yo-yo the hiway ?  Fun, short and popular.  Thanks for the reminiscence .   X

Did you get a chance to yo-yo the hiway ?  Fun, short and popular.  Thanks for the reminiscence .  X

No, unfortunately gave up on touring due to the rain and relatively low snow pack at the highway. You roll the dice I suppose.

Was cool to see the airborne sports people do down there (paragliding, kite skiing and such).

Reply to this TR

april-8-10-2016-thompson-pass-ak-tailgate
powersa
2016-04-12 21:37:57